Monday, January 10, 2005

Dusting

The stranges thing happened last night... I dusted, and enjoyed it! It was so fast and easy...

No, I haven't gone insane. (Well, no more than usual.)

When I was shopping yesterday, I bought one of those swiffer dusters with the extendable handle. You know that commercial where there's a nutty lady enjoying dusting... so much so that she dusts her neighbour's house? Well, that was me last night. (And if you know me, you know how much I hate cleaning.)

My mom has one of these, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I've used the swiffer sweepers before, and prefer them over brooms which fling the dust up into the air, but figured the dusters were just another way to get more of our money. I find with the swiffer sweeper, most of the dust gets stuck on the leading edge, and I have to replace the cloths really often. (Likely this wouldn't happen if I swept more often than once every six months or so...)

Well, the swiffer duster worked way better, and with the extendable handle, I was able to get the baseboards without bending over. (That's what prompted me to clean last night... I had *exceedingly* dusty baseboards.) The duster has extremely slender plastic components, so I was able to get behind most of the furnature without moving anything. I could even get that dustbunny heaven between the washer/dryer and the wall! I like the adjustable positions for the head too... I could adjust it to whatever angle was best for whatever I was dusting, and by taking advantage of gravity, I didn't even have to touch the dusty head. :) (After doing all the baseboards with a single "cloth", I got out another, and dusted all my hanging art, and most of my flat surfaces. After doing that, the swiffer still had "room" for more dust, so I bent the head at 90 degrees and swept the kitchen floor.)

Looking at my filthy desk here at the office, I think I'll get one of the regular handled dusters to clean off here too.

Joy in dusting... who'd have thunk.

Next thing you know, I'll be buying one of those magic erasers that both my mom and Paulina have been raving about... I wonder if they'd work on the mystery spots on my wall? (Probably not... I'm thinking these mystery spots are coming in from the outside.)

2 comments:

Marvie said...

I luv my swiffer duster lol. I don't have the extendable handle one yet though... sounds like I need it heheheh. I do have the regular handle one and it gets hubby to dust, which is a major accomplishment because he's never been a duster type guy lol. I have been using it too, simply because I can do the whole place in about a quarter of the time it takes me using a cloth and spray stuff. Only downside is I don't have that scent afterwards that says to the world "HEY I dusted today" and I kinda need that lmao.

noricum said...

The extendable handle is *really* nice. :))

For smell, you could always spray some of that Febreeze stuff... I tried some of the "allergen reducer" kind, but was allergic to the "light" (ha!) scent.