Thursday, January 20, 2005

Foul!

Foul! Not fair! Completely not fair! "Knit Picks" sent me their Winter 2005 catalog. They have amazing "simple stripes" sock yarn. They have nifty yarns on clearance. They have the most amazing selection of books. (Yes! I want to learn to knit! teach me all those wonderful things shown on the covers!) They have wonderfully priced yarns for felting and dyeing. Gorgeous alpaca at excellent prices! They even have undyed, 100% merino fingerling (sock) wool at an amazing price!!!! And the dyes, and how-to books to go with it!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaa!

This catalog would have been a dream come true, were I not on a self-imposed yarn diet. :P

Amazingly, their prices are even better than Elann, although they don't have the same selection. *sigh* If I had seen this catalog before my last Elann purchase, I could have saved some money, and used 100% merino in my sockapalooza pal's socks. (Sorry sock buddy. If we swap again, I'll koolaid-dye you some nifty merino socks, in the best solid blue I can manage.)

For those bored enough to still be reading, here's what else is going on around here. ;)

Yesterday I noticed port-a-johns being delivered to my neighbourhood. That piqued my curiosity. Mystery solved this morning: there were workmen out chopping up the old, decrepit front steps on various units. (I saw them working on Audley and Maxwell.) It doesn't look like they're doing everyone, just the worst. It's about time. Given all the upgrades they've been doing lately, I wonder what the rent increases will be like this summer? (Aack!)

More snow in the forecast. Last I checked, it was drizzling. Since it's supposed to dip below freezing, that means we'll at least have ice on the roads in the morning. Schools are already announcing closings. Apparently (yes, I finally looked it up, and "apparently" has two "p"s... I was confused, because I recently taught myself that apartment only has one) they don't want to repeat Wednesday's fiasco where 3000 Wake county students ended up sleeping in the schools, because of gridlocked traffic in Raleigh. (Yes. All this for a bare centimeter of snow. That's *half* an inch, for those of you still using Imperial measurements.) I talked to some people in the department who took 7-8 hours to get home. (The person who thought he had it bad at 4 hours felt much better.) I mentioned I had a couch a nice 15 minutes from campus, should this occur again. :P

Oh... and due to the forecast for snow, SNB at my house was a flop. I attended and crocheted. A friend who I had invited (so I could finally teach her to crochet) came, but we ended up just talking (while I worked on my Koigu socks). No SNBers came. I got an e-mail from one saying she'd try. Oh well... it got me up off my butt and washing my dishes. I even tidied up a bit, but that mostly consisted of moving crap out of the living room and into my office. Movement of crap doesn't count... since now it's simply cluttering up a different room. Yet another reason why I can't buy more yarn from Knit Picks... I have too much crap. I need to be less materialistic. Especially since I'll be getting a $5K tuition bill in the mail any day now. (It can take as long as it wants... until then, I have the money in a money market account, accumulating piddling amounts of interest.)

Well, Kelli and I had fun. :) And that even makes twice today, since we went out for our light therapy & exercise at lunch. :))

1 comment:

KelliAmanda said...

Yeah, how about all that SNOW we got last night? NOT ONE FLAKE!!! I was so very disappointed when I woke up this morning and looked outside. :-(

Oh well - at least tomorrow is a weekend. Wonder if the next winter weather event will happen. So far the forecasters are 0 for 2.

I had fun last night!