Saturday, January 01, 2005

"Lifetime" Warranty

Have you ever wondered whose "lifetime" those lifetime warranties are for? It turns out it's the lifetime of the receipt.

My parents have a couch from Sears (a store with normally good customer service) that has a "lifetime" warranty on the mechanism. Recently they started having problems with the mechanism that lifts the footrest up. Bob called to get it fixed. Unfortunately, he doesn't have the receipt any more. He bought it seven years ago, and after my mom retired, they went through and purged all the old files. (Which included such items as the receipt for the car my mom bought around the time my brother was born, 25 years ago. That car left us quite a while ago.) One of the files that got shredded included the receipt for the now seven-year-old couch. We thought it should be okay, because the store would have a record of our purchase... especially since it was bought on a Sears card.

Wrong.

Sears purges it's files after a year.

Lesson: never throw out those receipts. :P

Weather update: it's snowing again... big surprise there. We're supposed to get another 5-10 cm overnight. I hope my friend can make it over tomorrow... she's going to help me with my gingerbread house (which is still sitting in the fridge in raw cookie dough form), and they still haven't done a proper street cleaning. The main roads are fine, but the side roads just have a single quick plow down the center so that people can move their cars off the street for the real plowing.

Back to working on my sweater patterns. (Yes, I've been procrastinating!)

No comments: