Sunday, February 13, 2005

Strange Party

The party was pretty good, but definitely "non-standard". I cleaned until the first people arrived a bit after 2, which was Jack, Elizabeth and William, followed shortly by my neighbour Helen. Jack brought some cake (which I couldn't eat, because it had almond extract) and some spare mugs, which we used, but didn't really need given the low turnout. Helen is a nice old lady... although rather chatty. She monopolized the conversation pretty much. A short while later Swaha and Dorian came, and then Leo arrived a bit after that. Jack & family had to leave fairly early, because they had to take William to fencing. Everyone else left about a half hour after that, around 3:30. Helen talked the whole time, although the rest of us occasionally got a word in edgewise. I knew Helen talked a lot, but I figured I had invited so many people that it wouldn't matter... there would be lots of small conversation groups, so she wouldn't be the only one talking. Oh well, that's life. I think my other friends were a bit uncomfortable, though, which made me uncomfortable.

Around 4:00 I was wondering if I should check out if the front office had a good movie, since my party was kind of short. Luckily I didn't leave, because Deepak and his significant other arrived. (I'm bad with names... I think her name is something like Kieran...) I served them some cake & tea, and we sat and talked for a bit. I didn't try what they had brought, because Deepak forgot and put nuts in. (Oops... so then no one got to enjoy his dish, because everyone else had left early. :P Deepak said his roommate would be really happy, though.)

But, a small party was better than no party, and I did enjoy myself anyway.

Swaha and Dorian gave me a really cute little frog box:


A few people had let me know they couldn't come. I don't know if the rest forgot, or also had conflicts.

Here's a picture of the chocolate cheesecake I baked:

Only one small crack... and *really* goooooood! Everyone enjoyed it. :) Although I have a bit of a dilemma... I have nearly half a cheesecake left. I think I'm going to be good and bring it in to work tomorrow.

5 comments:

Daph said...

That DOES look tasty! Cheesecakes are delicious. Sounds like a very nice get together. I prefer smaller parties, myself. :)

noricum said...

I actually prefer smaller parties myself, but I never know who to "leave out"... I guess this way I let them decide if they'd like to be "left out." (It just sort of makes me wonder where that leaves me...)

Marvie said...

K, I'm not a huge fan of cheesecake, but when you make it chocolate.... I'd have to have a small slice *g* It's a very nice looking cheesecake too, I've never made one but want to learn (hubby likes 'em)

I agree, I prefer smaller get togethers too. I'm more comfortable than in a big crowd =)

Jewels said...

mmmmm, did someone say cheesecake? hehe...10 more days til I get Baked Expectations!!
Yours looks very yummy.

noricum said...

Ooooo! I'd be jealous, Jewels, but a friend has offered to take me to the Cheesecake Factory as a birthday present. (I'll have to see how it compares...)

Marvie... let me know if you'd like some tips! After baking my first one, which still tasted delicious, but had huge cracks running through it, I did some research online. There's lots of good tips out there. ;)