Friday, February 18, 2005

Going Postal

I went to mail my packages today... the small RAOK, the GISBE, and a postcard to a friend. I put the parcels in a bag, and noticed, as I walked to the bus, that they were rather heavy. I knew the weight wasn't due to the postcard, or the RAOK being mailed within the US... I dreaded reaching the post office.

I gave the lady at the post office my great big GISBE package headed for Europe, and said "tell me my options". She punched in the code for air mail... $34 plus change. I said "what's the cheapest you've got". Surface mail, up to six weeks time, $22 plus change. I paid $22 plus change for the contents of said package. There was no way I was paying more than the contents were worth! (Frankly, I was hoping to pay *less* than the contents were worth...) *sigh* ...why couldn't I have had someone that wanted a nice, light souvineer? I'm glad I didn't add the peanut butter...

The postcard to Spain was much cheaper... around 70 cents. The roak was also a nice price, at around 80 cents.

I think I'll have to pass on the next GISBE... I can't afford the postage.

I wonder what I'll get in my package? I hope it doesn't cost that much in postage! (Note to the person sending me something: I'm willing to wait the 6 weeks for slow mail!)

I think I'll do my taxes this weekend... I increased the amount being taken off my paycheque, so hopefully I'll actually get a refund this year. (I think last year I had to pay an additional $800, which was *not* nice!)

My tuition bill still hasn't arrived... frankly, it can take as long as it wants. (That bill will be around $4700, thanks to my alien status.)

Grump, mumble, mutter.

2 comments:

Daph said...

Ugh. Post office rates are astronomical. That bites. LOL that your tuition bill can wait as long as it wants... that's the way I feel about ALL my bills, don'tcha know? $4700 for tuition... is that per semester? GOD that's a lot of damn money!

noricum said...

Yeah, per semester. :P $4700 is for both tuition and fees, but still! I'm only taking *3* credit hours! Sheesh! :P