Friday, February 25, 2005

I'm Baaack!

Miss me? No? That's okay... I blog because I find it fun. :)

Boy, the last few days have been hectic! I had a visiting professor yesterday, and so was busy preparing and then visiting with her. I'm glad she came... I was a bit worried, because we had a bit of a run-in in the past, but she's had a change of heart, and now everything is good between us! I'm happy, because we're working in related fields, and now we can communicate ideas with each other. :) (It was something I had done that she took offense at... I hadn't meant to upset her, but I did... basically we come from rather different research cultures, and she's now decided mine is just fine. Now I don't need to tiptoe around her any more.)

Well, lots of exciting things have been going on... particularly in the mail! Yesterday I got an *awesome* RAOK (thank-you fairy! I ♥ it!!!!), and a t-shirt from my mom. My advisor also gave me a belated birthday present (a book... he said he could give it to me now that the visit preparation work was done).

The t-shirt from my mom has flowers and hummingbirds on it. She got it at a discount t-shirt shop in Victoria. The RAOK is a really cool needle felting kit to make an adorable angora goat! (I'll be posting photos of my progress...) I can't wait to start, but I think I need to be good and finish writing up my patterns first... this'll be a lot of incentive to finish!!! (Maybe if I'm fast, I can even start this weekend!)

Then, this morning, I found another package outside my door! I don't know how it got there... the mail hadn't been delivered yet, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there last night. This package contained my Adagio Teas gift for linking to them! (I put the link off my regular web site, rather than my blog, because it had a higher page rank.) I got the ingenuiTEA set, with four herbal teas! I think I'll try out "rooibos" this morning. :) This is expecially cool, since now I'll have a way to brew tea both at home and at work!

Crocheting progress... yes I have made some... even though I was busy, there were still talks and bus rides to crochet at. I've finished a ball of yarn for my sockapalooza socks... I'm glad I got a spare, because it's currently only 7" up the leg, and my sock pal requested around 8", if I remember correctly. (I should check that... but I'll work on the second sock for a bit first.) I also made a little "finger cozy", which protects my finger when working on socks, and other items that use thin yarn with high tension:

It's grrrreat! I used a smidge of Koigu I had leftover from my socks. The increased friction from the cozy also means I don't have to hold the yarn as tight. :) I'll write up the "pattern" later, but it's pretty basic. I used the same alternating sc/dc as I do for the socks, make a little rectangle, then sew the top and bottom together. (I did it this way because there's more stretch in that direction, and I wanted the cozy to hug my finger.)

My response to the February blahs: I like February! I don't know why everyone is complaining! After all, February is my birthday (okay, so that only affects me), and there's half-priced chocolates starting February 15. :) Although I have the current advantage of living somewhere where flowers bloom in February, there are different advantages elsewhere. I seem to remember that in Winnipeg, February is the month with the university spring break, and also Festival du Voyageur (I love going to see all the snow sculptures!). It's such a short month, it goes by quickly. Enjoy it while it's here! ;)

Well, just because my visitor is gone, doesn't mean I don't have work to do! ;) I've probably forgotten to blog some of the things I wanted to, but I'll add those later. Cheers!

1 comment:

Deneen said...

I am intrigued by the needle felting. I've never seen it or done it, so....something new to drool over.

Adagio uses Fed Ex, who for some reason deliver the tea bright and early in the AM. I love my ingenuiTEA set and I'm sure you will too!

I'm glad your February has been good-