Monday, October 16, 2006

Zzzzzzzzz

*yawn*

Sheesh... what' up with me? I slept well last night, but this morning after breakfast I was feeling sleepy. Since I decided to take the day off to adjust to being back in NY, I figured I'd let myself have a nap. I woke up an hour later, but was still tired. Several hours later I woke up again, but because the sun shining on the bed made the covers too warm. So I switched to snoozing in the sunshine.

I'm trying to convince myself to get up now and go to the post office.

Speaking of post office, I found this e-mail on a knitting group rather funny:
Yesterday I went to the postal outlet to mail an exchange to the states. I learned some very interesting news about mailing packages.

1. The reason you can't mail cookies or candy mass produced meaning you can mail home made products is.....

TA DAH..... The states is afraid we will mail too much and ruin the candy and cookie economy. Imagine they think we will go form mailing one or even a few packages to pallets and pallets of cookies and candy and upsurp their economy. An American speaking and laughing at the same time.

2. We are NOT actually allowed to mail WOOL yarn to the states because.....

TA DAH.... when wool is wet it becomes a HARZARDOUS material. I was allowed to mail the cotton dishcloth yarn but I had to lie and about the wool and put down cotton yarn. When asked what I had and I said yarn I was asked what kind and when I asked why and did it make a difference I got the reply above. The postal clerk also told me that she had to turn down a package a women was mailing as it was a hand knitted WOOL sweater and the wool yarn from which the sweater was knit was not allowed!!!. I found this absurb. I thought we were allowed to mail wool especially with the free trade agreement but to consider it a hazardous material is unbelievable. What are the chances of a wool sweater or wool yarn getting wet in the postal system???
Also, what makes wet wool hazardous? I've washed my wool sweaters, etc, many times without having them explode or spontaneously combust! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

canadian candy has no corn syrup! when they realized that the corn syrup was ruining everyone in the US's bodies and if they discovered it, our corn farmers would be out of business, they decided we could not take in canadian candy/cookies instead! :)

Liz said...

Maybe the guy who made the rules was allergic to wool? Other than that I have no frickin clue. Unless the wool is wet... with *gasoline*!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean I can mail your package to NY? Let me know!

Wet wool hazardous? Now I've heard everything. LOL

fledchen said...

Well, we do have a bizarre "war on moisture" here in the U.S....

noricum said...

Hmmm... moisture seems to be winning here today... it's a rather gray, drizzly day.

Canadian candy/cookies does tend to taste better, in my opinion, so I think you're onto something there Jess! ;)

Kare said...

Get Out!!!
That's just crazy!