Friday, October 13, 2006

Made It!

I was a few minutes late leaving the house this morning. When I rounded the corner from Leslie onto Hespeler, I saw the bus coming towards my stop! Aack! My first instinct was to run... then I looked at traffic.

I walked leisurely to the bus stop, and a few minutes later the bus arrived. It was exactly on time (or, at least, at it's usual time) for my bus, but a different bus driver. I'm not sure which earlier bus it was supposed to be, but I also didn't care. It took a while to get across the river to Main street (two blocks), and Main was pretty slow this morning too from the extra traffic. However, I was only about five minutes late arriving downtown, so instead of catching the regular #60, I caught the #61 Express, which comes five minutes after the #60 I usually catch, and arrives at the university five minutes earlier than the #60 I usually catch.

It's kind of ironic to be early on a day you hear the bus radio saying something about 90 minute delays on the routes you're using. (Or maybe it was the #11, but they both had to deal with similar traffic snarls.)

I imagine my trip home will be just as smooth, given that I'll be travelling northbound, which isn't affected.

Oh... and I forgot to mention... the truck driver? He will be getting a $150 fine for driving a truck on a non-truck route. :P We're thinking it's going to cost the city a bit more than $150 to fix the bridge. However, it also turns out that the bridge was scheduled for maintenance, and the money for that was already allocated. I guess they'll just get to the bridge earlier than they had planned.

I'd link to the Winnipeg Free Press article, but I'm pretty sure you need to be a subscriber to read it. :P (And if you're a subscriber, you'll likely already have seen it without me linking to it.)

No comments: