Monday, October 23, 2006

Rhinebeck 3

...or "the long, slippery slope".

It started off innocently. I petted yarn. I petted fiber. I made mental notes so I could decide on my favourites, and spend my dollars wisely.

Then I found this excellent purchase:
Niddy Noddy
A niddy noddy. Original price was $25, but they were marked down to $10 because they were the "old models"... the maker had switched to a different style. However, this one was even cheaper... $5, because one piece was broken. A piece that can easily be fixed with a bit of wood glue. I have wood glue. :) Even better, after I bought it, I discovered it disassembles to be quite small!
Niddy Noddy Disassembled
A niddy noddy to go with my lovely nostepinne!

Then another inexpensive purchase, washed BFL locks that will be perfect for needle-felting little sheep for Christmas presents:
Washed BFL Locks
Only $1.50 and ounce! I restrained myself from buying more of those perfect little curls... but only with difficulty.

However, I totally fell apart when I saw this:
Maggie Spindle
A Maggie spindle. Made from satiny smooth cherry wood. Love at first sight! I have admired other pretty spindles, but nothing has dug it's way into my heart like this one. Should I? It's $32! I still basically don't know how to spin! But ooooo! Sooooo pretty! And smooth. It *wants* to spin! I had a feeling that I'd regret it if I walked away from it. But would I regret it if I bought it? Then the sales lady told me that the maker wasn't making any more, since he had been injured. I bought it. I don't regret it. :)

Of course, then I needed some roving, since I only had a wee little bit with me. (It takes up lots of space in luggage, so I thought I'd let myself buy a bit at Rhinebeck if I got a chance to spin there.) BFL, colour "Dragon":
Roving
John found me shortly thereafter, so I took a break to eat. I offered to make him a hat from this roving, but he said that he tends to lose hats. I'm thinking perhaps I'll either give him the alpaca-silk hat I'm mildly allergic to, or make him a hat out of non-handspun fiber. At least until I get more prolific with the spinning. ;)

After lunch, the spending spree continued. It's geometry:
Birch Bark Christmas Ornament
(or a $10 Christmas ornament.)

For a friend:
Sheep Christmas Ornament
It's inexpensive, and she brought me something back from Maryland Sheep and Wool.

Pencil roving:
Pencil Roving
Only $3, and I need something to put the BFL locks on!

And why not some pretty knitting needles:
Knitting Needles
I really wanted some of the Lantern Moon ebonies, but these were only about a third of the price, and rather nice. I wanted to get myself some nice little straights for knitting dishcloths, since I seem to be making those, and my 8s are busy with the lace scarf.

Well, by this point I was pretty shopped out. I didn't manage to see the sheepdog trials or the pumpkin chucking contest (J enjoyed them, though), but I enjoyed the shopping, and got to pet some sheep and goats. We plodded through the last few barns just to see what was there, and then headed home.

It was *soooooooo* nice! Next time, however, I think I need to bring less cash. Either that, or improve my income. ;)

7 comments:

MrsFife said...

OOOO those Surina needles. They still get my goat. Sigh.
How much did you buy them for?

Anonymous said...

wow! nice haul!

You will not regret buying that spindle -- I still think of a spindle I fell for almost two years ago at MD and didn't buy. I didn't buy it because I was budgeting for my wheel!

roving can be squished a lot for travel and makes a good cushion for other stuff. :)

I wore the scarf you made me yesterday! :)

noricum said...

mrsfife: The needles were something like $6.20 plus tax... certainly less than $7. It must be very frustrating for you. :( You know that the KnitPicks Options needles are made in India too, right?

Ann: It was so nice meeting you! I love the little cartoon swine at your blog. :) The niddy noddy was a few stalls down from the place with the Socks That Rock yarn.

Jess: Yes, I know, I just didn't want to squish all the air out. I'm glad you like the scarf! Thanks for the spindle reassurance. :)

Bev in TN said...

I've been admiring your haul! very impressive, especially the pencil roving for $3.00! I NEED some of that. Care to share where you bought it? I'm leaving my email address just in case: brober10@earthlink.net

thanks

LG said...

I´m enjoying all your shopping! The needles you got are a delight!

Zarzuela said...

I'm so bummed that I missed meeting you this weekend! But I'm glad you had fun and you obviously made some great purchases. :)

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

noricum said...

Bev: I didn't get a receipt from them, so I don't know who they were. They were set up right next to The Wool Works (who did give me a receipt), along the back wall of that two-storey barn. Hmmm: moral of the story is that receipts can increase business, I guess. ;)

Jessica: I had hoped to run into you. Perhaps we'll cross paths another time. :)