Friday, January 06, 2006

Wrestling

Wrassling with recalcitrant laptop sleeves is exercise. So says my arms and tummy.

I thought everyone should see the information Wendy left in my comments, so here it is:
I frequent a lot of diaper cover boards where they knit/crochet wool covers and periodically people freak that the cover shrunk. This is a suggestion I took from one of those boards,

Use cool water. Mix about 1/2 bottle of hair conditioner (cheap stuff) Mix well. Soak well. Massage well. Gently pull back to shape.

The woman who wrote this claims she has pulled a sweater back into size that was shrunk down to a kids sweater.

Good luck! I will be interested to find out what happens.
Unfortunately she left that comment this morning, and I did the wrassling last night. Fortunately I did something pretty similar.

I started off by soaking the sleeve in cold water, and massaging in a generous (but not half a bottle worth) dose of not-cheap conditioner. (I used what I happened to have... both because I didn't want to go out and buy more, but also because I didn't want hives on my arms from using something I'm allergic to.) I then left it soaking, to give it time to reconsider it's position:
Laptop Sleeve Soaking

While it soaked, I had dinner, and then ate gingerbread. We had the gingerbread-house-breaking party last night. (I use a good-tasting recipe.)

After the party I went back down, purloining a conveniently sized cutting board from the kitchen on my way:
Laptop-sized Cutting Board

After some more wrassling, this is what I got:
Laptop Sleeve Stretching
It's still a wee bit short, but I stretched the flap to make up for that. I think it'll do now. It's still wet, so I brought it in, cutting board and all. (It's my parents favourite cutting board, but they're leaving for two months on Monday, and H has promised to return it. Assuming the sleeve is still damp when we leave school tonight.)

Hopefully there'll be a bit more stretching as she uses it. And hopefully the laptop isn't thicker than the cutting board. :) (It stretches a bit more, but you don't want to have to force a laptop into a sleeve.)

No comments: