Thursday, January 26, 2006

Albert

Remember Albert?
Albert
Well, I decided I felt like painting him.

Shortly after telling M my tale of Albert, M was at the mall running an errand, and discovered call for entries for a community art project called "lost and found." (See www.communityartproject.org if you're interested in more details... although I'm not sure what's there, since I haven't checked it out yet myself. ;) ) M said she thought I should submit my photo of Albert.

Well, I like my photo of Albert, but, since I'm not a photographer, I don't really consider it "art." Plus, I'd have to pay to print it out, and probably at a size larger than 4x5. (Or whatever size photos come these days.) However, I've felt like painting lately, either experimenting with watercolours some more, or hauling out my acrylics. Acrylics won out. Last weekend I primed a board. Tonight, even though I didn't really have a lot of time, I decided to proceed to the next step.

I sketched Albert:
Albert's Portrait in Progress
(I haven't sketched much lately, so try not to be too critical, please.)

Hmmm... only 9:30... I have time for some paint! (Not much, but a bit.) Now, I don't really have much skill when it comes to acrylics, so I kind of like to make sure people realize I *know* that I'm not a classy acrylics artist. Now, nothing says "I'm not pretentious" like a liberal application of "look what I got with my 40% off coupon" gold acrylic paint:
Albert's Portrait in Progress
Well, maybe black velvet does a better job... but I don't have any black velvet, and I'm not fond of velvet paintings anyway.

The other reason is that I kind of miss Blue Kitty, who went to live with K. (Blue Kitty wanted to live with K, so I let him. I didn't want Blue Kitty to be sad.) When I am done, I will have Albert to replace Blue Kitty. Unless, of course, Albert decides he wants to live with someone else too.

And that's as far as I got tonight. It's time for bed. I'll keep you posted on Albert, both painted and real... if I see him again.

5 comments:

MrsFife said...

He's so beautiful!

Marvie said...

K, is there anything you aren't good at? You knit, crochet, bake, you're smarter than anyone I know, and now I discover you can draw and paint too!

I've always wished I could sketch, paint, all that good artsy stuff. Someday I want to take some classes....

Can't wait to see the finished Albert!

noricum said...

Thanks!

Hmmm... I can't play any instruments, I'm pretty bad at team sports, and I'm out of shape. My handwriting rivals a doctor's for unreadability, and I'm slooooooooooow. I have a bad sense of humour, and tend to be somewhat awkward in social situations. I irritate all sorts of people by being good at nearly everything I try. Does that help?

Anonymous said...

I hardly think your handwriting rivals a doctor's for unreadability. I've never had a problem reading your handwriting, and I've seen MUCH worse.

KelliAmanda said...

I'll second Paulina's comment, and add:
- at least you've played team sports.
- you're not completely out of shape. Look at how much walking you do by virtue of not having a car! C'mon.
- I don't think you have a bad sense of humor.
- Can't help you on the social situations, as I'm right there with you. Still, you seem to make friends easily.
- Irritating? Absolutely. (kidding, kidding) ;-)