Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Head

This morning I woke up with a headache. I got up, took some aspirin and a sudafed, and went back to bed. My head was really pounding, and my eyes felt like they were being squished out of my head.

I emerged from bed at 11am in order to have breakfast (accompanied by my daily dose of antihistamine, and the other crap I take). The sinusy-headache part had subsided, but I was still tired, and my head still hurt, although not quite as much.

I have spent the day vegging... I tried reading, but that took too much effort. So now I've been watching the Harry Potter videos that arrived yesterday. (No simultaneous knitting or crochet... also too much effort.) My head still hurts, my eyes still feel squished, and my focus is a bit off. (Focussing takes too much effort.)

I'm contemplating having a shower.

The day is so pretty out, I want to go for a walk, but dread what all that light will do to my headache.

I think I'll just crawl back on the couch. I'll have a shower when this HP movie is over. (Showers take effort, but I know I'll feel less icky when I'm clean.)

Ironically, I'd feel better about vegging on the couch all day if I had some other "sick" symptom besides a headache. For some reason, I don't consider a headache sufficient reason to rest and recouperate, even though I doubt I'd manage to get any work done if I tried.

The squished-eyeball feeling really freaks me out. I keep thinking "glaucoma," because I have various family members with glaucoma (my grandma, and a distant cousin), but I do know that you don't actually feel anything with glaucoma. Any ideas what would cause a squished-eyeball feeling? I frequently get this feeling with headaches, so it's probably normal, but it does creep me out. Please tell me this is normal, and that I should stop worrying. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What you have today sounds like a migraine of some sort. I've only had a couple of REALLY bad ones, but I basically have to go lie down in a dark room until such time as drugs kick in or they pass. And then I feel like I was hit by a mack truck afterwards. (I called in sick to work one Monday after I'd spent Sunday evening with a headache like that, because I just felt totally wiped.)

I can't say I've felt anything that I identify as "squished eyeballs" -- though I do tend to do a lot of squinting and rubbing my eyes when I'm trying to be 'up' when I have a headache.

My friend Kristen, who does have glaucoma, goes to the eye doctor every time she gets bad headaches behind one eye if they recur more than a couple of times in a short time period. It usually turns out that her pressure is up in that eye. If you're worried about it, it wouldn't hurt you to get checked just to be safe. But I think it's more than likely you "just" have migraines.