Sunday, January 15, 2006

Gah.

Klaralund Front and Back
Klaralund Front and Back

I really need to pay attention to those niggling thoughts.

So, at one point I knew there was an errata sheet for Klaralund, but that thought slipped out of my sieve-like mind by the time I was working on it.

I cast on for the front and back. Only 80 stitches? Not more? Well, I trust the designer.

Knit.
Knit.
Knit.
Knit.
Knit.

Gee, it's looking kind of skinny. It must be because the sides are curling. Weasley ended up way big.

Knit.
Knit.
Knit.
Knit.

Feeling uncertain, I hold one piece up to me. Hmmm... it needs some stretching to fit... maybe it was those two pounds I gained over Christmas? I could always leave the bottom garter stitch border unseamed, leaving slits in the sides.

Knit.
Knit.

No, this is definitely narrow. Is it my gague? How wide are 80 stitches *supposed* to be?

Crunching numbers.

Oh. Oops. And how are two 20" panels supposed to make a 44" sweater?

At this point, the thought of errata reenters my mind.

Yep, two 20" panels *don't* make a 44" sweater.

Options:
1. Frog and reknit.
2. Lose all that weight I've been trying to lose the past five years. (Yeah, like that's going to happen.)
3. Add narrow vertical garterstitch stripes under each armpit.

Besides meaning I don't have to frog, I'm thinking #3 will actually produce a somewhat nicer design, maybe.

I think, though, before I do anything drastic or dig myself deeper, I'll set Klaralund aside and work on my wool afghan. I've been meaning to work on it all weekend, but Klaralund was calling with a siren song I couldn't ignore.

What's your opinions on options #1 and #3? Preferences? Other options?

Other excitement: I'm setting off the fire alarm by reseasoning a cast iron frying pan I got on freecycle. I had initially planned on doing it outside on the barbecue, but then thought that keeping the heat in the house might be a good idea. The smoke's a bit acrid, though. I've turned the oven off, and will finish up the seasoning tomorrow (or some other time) in the barbecue outside. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

frog and reknit, but recheck your gauge. I used the errata and my Klara ended up way too big. ;)

I've seen at least one example of a Klara with side panels that looked great, however.

Sallie said...

I would frog and reknit, but I tend to be very anal that way. Do what feels right for you.