Thursday, September 08, 2005

Miscellany

Boy, am I ever glad I'm not having to rely on the "official US aid". (Link found at Bitch Ph.D..)

On NPR this morning: natural gas prices expected to rise over 70% this winter (gee... I'm thinking Weasley will be getting plenty of use! And I had better finish that wool afghan!!!), Schwarzenegger vows to veto same-sex marriage law in Califorinia (stupid jerk), and, of course, more death and destruction from Katrina.

I need to find a better place to sit while waiting for the bus... yesterday and today a bunch of teeny-tiny ants started crawling on me... and some of them bit me! Grrr. I liked sitting on the low wall because it was still in the shade, but got a breeze which the seat in the bus shelter didn't. The ants are a distinct disadvantage, though.

I'm scheduled to give blood at 2:45. Must remember to go. And I should run a few errands afterwards while I'm down that way... I'm completely out of stamps, and I need to talk to the people in Fetzer Gym... I signed up for a weigh room orientation, got an e-mail asking me for a schedule of when I'm free, and they haven't responded to any of my e-mails saying when I'm free. I've sent two so far, and since I'm not taking classes, I should be a really easy person to book an appointment for. I'm not sure if I got lost in the system due to the start of classes, or Katrina, or something else, but I'd like to have my orientation. I've got a tummy that needs working off!

I knitted lace last night! I think my stitch encyclopedia calls it "feather lace". It's really pretty. I'll post a photo when I've finished my test swatch, probably tonight. I'm only half way through... a friend who's having problems (much worse than mine) came over to talk, and then later there wasn't any decent tv to knit to. I've knit the swatch in grey merino for my blanket. Next is the lovely qiviut! Qiviut is sooooooo soft! And soooo expensive! This one tiny sale ball will be my entire experience with it... at least until I find a way to be "rich". ;) I think the tiny neck scarf I'm making will be a Christmas present for B, since he's the coldest person I know. If there's not enought o make a tiny neck scarf, I'll make a pair of ear warmers for myself. My ears get cold... but ear warmers are less interesting than pretty lace. Don't worry... the lace pattern isn't "feminine", so I think B will still be fine with it. (I hope B hasn't started reading my blog... he rediscovered it recently, but I think he still hasn't started reading it.)

I think my mom will get a Branching Out scarf from some Silky Wool in my stash. With my current cash crunch, I think a lot of people will be getting "stashbuster presents". I have a nice quality stash, started back when I actually had an income. ;)

Speaking of income... its looking like I'll get medical, and maybe another $2667 this term. (That's the minimum they have to pay me for me to get medical.) $2667 is *much* better than $0. Heck, $2667 is 3.73 months of rent! (Um, of course, there's already that bit of money they already paid me in August... so my remaining pay may be less than $2667.)

Hmmm... I wonder if I can survive until Christmas on what I have down here, plus $2667 (or whatever I get)? It'll be nice not to have to transfer savings from Canada. (Well, until I have to pay for spring tuition, that is.) Hmmm... that will be my goal... live off of what I have here plus whatever I get paid, and if I *do*, I get to reward myself with enough Noro Silk Garden to make a Klaralund.

That reminds me... I still need to check with my bank whether there'll be any problem depositing Canadian cheques.

Okie... back to the allosteric transition of GPb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know someone colder than me? I'm impressed...