Friday, September 23, 2005

A Cautionary Tale in Seaming

Misseamed
Misseamed

Note: Just because you have the front right shoulder matched to the back right shoulder, and the front left shoulder matched to the back left shoulder, all with correct sides facing, doesn't mean you got it right.

I picked out one seam, and did much better on the second try:

Second Try

(The sweater should be wide enough... it's just curling up in the photo.)

Note now added at the bottom of the "woven shoulder seam" section in my copy of The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques: "make sure not twisted."

5 comments:

none said...

I hate seaming. In fact, I am working on changing most of the patterns I do in the round, so I have less seams...obviously this doesn't apply to the shoulder seam.

Anonymous said...

The sweater is looking great! woohoo!

I love that book! Did you pin everything together before seaming too? :)

noricum said...

Nope, no pins. I poke myself with pins, and find they warp the fabric, making lining things up more difficult. Since I was matching stitch to stitch, I figured pins weren't necessary. (However, they probably would have made me notice my error sooner rather than later... ;) )

Daph said...

Don'tcha *hate* it when stuff like that happens? It's turning out so well, though, I love that blue! I can't wait to see when it's finished... not much longer, eh? :)

noricum said...

Boy, was I ever peeved... and I had done such a nice seaming job!

It'll still be a while yet... I haven't knit the sleeves. (I wanted to make sure I got the neck hole the right size.) But *soon*!