Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Crabs

Afghan Square #26
Afghan Square #26

This is my latest afghan square. (I bet P likes this one too. ;) )

This little fellow made me think of two memories...

The first is walking along Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island. There were all sorts of itty bitty crabs about the size of pocket change, and if you stood by them, they would raise there little big claw in challenge. There were *tons* of them on the beach, and they were *sooo* cute! All different colours. Hmmm... must dig up a photo... here we are:

Little Crab

Little Crab

Little Crab

Little Crab

The second memory was of my visit to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. There's a chain of "crab shacks" there called Dirty Dick's, and their main marketing slogan is "I got my crabs at Dirty Dick's." (I'm not sure if people go there more for the food or the t-shirts...) Now, I got the double meaning of "crabs" right away, but it took me a day or two to figure out that "Dirty Dick's" also had a double meaning. :P Yes, I can be slow.

Well, I'll be sleeping with this little crab (eventually), but hopefully I won't have to worry about any Dirty Dicks. ;)

6 comments:

DAWN said...

That was a funny story. Makes me wanna shower;) The crab square is really great looking.
~ DAWN

Anonymous said...

Yup, I like the crab square, too! :)

LadyLinoleum said...

Lovely! So, let me ask you this...did you crochet the crab and add it later or is this a charted design? I really like it.

Rebecca said...

bwah hah!! that's funny!
okay, up until you mentioned the 2nd meaning... i didn't get it either
:)

noricum said...

I crocheted the crab from leftover sock yarn (hey! it has a use!) and sewed it on. It's five pieces... I did the legs in pairs, and the body separately.

Daph said...

LOL, that's great! I really love the crocheted crab... it looks awesome!