Monday, March 26, 2007

Taste Test Trials


Tim Hortons Triple Chocolate Doughnut

Well, this time Robins was open, but they had sold out of Robin's Eggs. So C and I went to Timmies, since he likes their doughnuts better, and it's been a *way* long time since I've had Robins, so I don't know if I still like them. I wasn't going to get anything, but then discovered (and had to try) the triple chocolate doughnut.

This doughnut apparently qualifies as "triple" chocolate because it has chocolate filling, and two types of chocolate frosting (medium brown and dark brown). I think that may be cheating, but I was still drawn in by the name.

I was going to split it with H (C got his own), but had forgotten that H doesn't like doughnuts. However, I didn't have to go far to find someone to accept the other half. ;)

My impressions: This thing is just as sweet as a Krispy Kreme, but with a different distribution. Most of the insane sweetness was in the icing. The filling was very similar to the stuff in those storebought chocolate pudding cups. Thankfully Timmies doesn't do the "coat the entire sucker in sugar before icing" thing! However, I will *not* be having another any time soon. (It will be a long time before I'm foolish enough!)

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't like Timmies doughnuts. The "original" cake timbit I had was pretty decent, but the chocolate cake timbit I had last week was, um, not worth the calories. Given the choice between Timmies and Superstore, give me Superstore!

Perhaps another day I'll be able to rate Robin's. Today's sugar quota has already been exceeded. (I'm not saying I won't have more, but I'm certainly not having another doughnut!)

No comments: