Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Odd

Very strange... last night around 7:30, someone called my office number. (She expects me to be in my office at 7:30 pm?) They had gotten my name from a colleague, and wanted help on a time sensitive project. She said her name and company, but I had some trouble making out either. The phone number is area code 650... so that's in California. (According to reverse phone number lookup... but it wasn't able to tell me who the number belonged to.) I can't make long distance calls without buying a calling card or something. Do I call her back? I wish she had told me who the colleague was... then I'd have a better idea.

*sigh*

There aren't any scams that do this, are there?

I think I'll get someone else to listen to my message, to see what they think.

Update: J let me call from his phone. Turns out she is a "talent scout." I wonder who recommended me to her? I wasn't sure if I should ask or not. I thanked her, and explained that I wasn't looking for a job right now, since I was still working on my PhD. She wants to keep in touch. Strange. Flattering, but strange. I'm thinking I may point her in my brother's direction. Google is different enough that they might not have a problem with his odd background.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

Truth be told, I would delete the message and hope she calls back-I'm bad like that.

Anonymous said...

If she was calling from California, it was only 4:30 there; she may not have been thinking about the time difference. Or she may have only had your office number, and counted on you calling back. *shrug*

I'm not aware of any scams like this. Do you know anyone with a cell phone you can borrow to call back?

Anonymous said...

She was a talent scout from Google?! Hey, that's pretty cool :)