Friday, May 26, 2006

Miscellany

Yesterday was crazy. Good, but crazy. I started off by packing several boxes. When I felt like a change, dad and I went to get some milk and brown sugar so that I could convert a bunch of pantry stash into cupcakes and pudding. While the cupcakes were in the oven and the pudding was on the stove, neigbours came over to check what I had for sale. I turned the pudding down, and asked dad to stir it. (When the chocolate melted, he turned it off.) I pulled the cupcakes out of the oven, and offered one to the neighbour's kid once they had a chance to cool. (Neighbour didn't want one.) Neighbours left, I returned to the pudding. Once I got the pudding going, S arrived. She apologized for also being increadibly busy today, while I apologized for not being able to leave the pudding. Then my neighbour, H, arrived, wanting to double check when it was I'd be leaving. *Then*, while talking to both S and H and worrying about the pudding, B called to say when she would be over. H left while I was on the phone. S and I returned to stand in front of the pudding, where she explained she had to go to deal with other stuff. I saw her out, then returned to my pudding which was on the verge of boiling over. I reduced the heat, added the corn starch mixture, and stirred for five more minutes. Then I realized I had forgotten the little bit of salt, so added a pinch before divvying it up and putting it in the fridge.

At this point, I collapsed on the couch. (And ate several cupcakes.)

Then B arrived, and we took a crafting break. K called to say when she'd be over. A little while later, the three of us were crafting happily.

Then my neighbours came back to actually purchase several items of furniture. K offered to buy two bookshelves and the TV.

Another knock on the door: neighbour's friends came to buy stuff. They left with my box fan.

K and I worked on posts for Craig's List, and got distracted by yarn. Around midnight everyone headed home.

I really enjoyed the chance to spend time with my friends, but it would have been nicer had it been more relaxing time. (Oh, and I think my dad's girlfriend called somewhere in there.) Being the type that rarely gets visitors or phone calls, it was rather disconcerting having so many at once.

Other stuff I've been meaning to blog on:

1. It turns out the fire was actually last Sunday, it just took us a while to notice.

2. Dad came to SNB on Tuesday... it turns out I didn't need to worry about him being bored, but I *should* have worried about him finding out about my blog. Oops.

3. My meeting over at Duke on Wednesday went well.

I can't remember anything else of what I was going to say... maybe this was it. I'm feeling kind of frazzled. I took an Ambien to help me get to sleep last night. There's an Orkin man outside my window now, treating the undersides and outsides of buildings for bugs.

No comments: