Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Norton

I'm apparently in Norton, Virginia. We didn't get far today... but we did actually leave.

Hmmm... the Ram Wools sidewalk sale is *this* Saturday! I hope I'm back in time!!! ;)

Dad said I was in charge of taking photos, so I took a bunch out the window. ;) However, you'll have to wait until tomorrow... it's been a *very* long day today. (Was it really only this morning I was loading the truck?) Hopefully I'll get them posted in the morning before we leave. (I *love* free wireless at motels!)

Um, what sort of things to blog about today....

It didn't seem real, that I was moving away from NC for good. I saw a sign on my way out... it said something like "welcome to Orange County, visit once, love it forever." (Or something vaguely along those lines.) Although there were many good things in my time in NC, I wouldn't say I love the county. Perhaps because I never "visited" it... merely occupied it.

Shoneys food sucks. Dad liked his liver and onions, but my "fish dinner" tasted fishy (fish isn't supposed to), the mashed potatoes were from a box, and the bun and rice were a bit scary. I'm clearly spoiled by my own cooking. They took my meal off the bill, and I ate two biscuits (which were good, although not as good as Cracker Barrel's). They wanted to serve me something else (of my choice), but I didn't feel up to experimenting with a second meal. (And no, I *don't* like liver and onions, so I certainly wasn't trying that one.)

The section of Virginia we've driven through seems pretty scenic... and the houses are fancier than in NC. In NC, they're mostly single- and double-wide trailers. In Virginia, they're actually real houses, some of them quite cute. (I saw a really neat Victorian-style old one, but didn't whip my camera out in time.) NC was kind of funny... in the last little bit before the Blue Ridge Parkway, every second "store" along the highway was a fruit stand, and the remainder were, um, "junk stores." They sold "antiques," complete with quaint rust. The fruit stands looked tempting, but the junk stands looked like someone had rooted through all the hillbilly trash dumps. There was a lot of clutter to distract from the rust. ;)

Hmmm... what else. We saw a neat cloud, and a neat mountain, and lots of scenery.

I think I should just go to bed, and post photos in the morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shoneys is evil. :)

the fruit stands usually have good stuff, nice to stop during a road trip.

Hope you and your dad have an uneventful drive up to Winnipeg!