Friday, July 06, 2007

Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park

I still have some catching up to do on posting my New Brunswick trip... so here's some photos from my day at Hopewell Rocks and Fundy National Park. I rented a car and made the trip with a friend from the department.

On the drive out, we stopped to view (and drive over, of course) a covered bridge:
IMG_1807.JPG
There was a fellow who had just caught a whitefish:
IMG_1811.JPG
(He was kind of hesitant to talk to me at first, but warmed up after discovering I was a tourist, not a fisheries officer.) I had never realized that "whitefish" was actually a specific kind of fish, and not just a generic name for fish with white flesh.

On the way to check out a second covered bridge (which we never found), we discovered a (not-so-) scenic clearcut:
IMG_1814.JPG
One of the local industries in New Brunswick is logging.

Mmmmm! Tasty ice cream recommended by another friend:
IMG_1804.JPG
I had chocolate (if I haven't had ice cream in a while, I don't feel like I've had ice cream unless I have chocolate), and my friend had maple.

Odd... not your usual trash-sorting choices:
IMG_1818.JPG

Beautiful:
IMG_1822.JPG
One tree was just full of these beautiful birds:
IMG_1824.JPG

We had lunch before going on to the Rocks. I had lobster, which wasn't all that good:
IMG_1829.JPG
Perhaps I would have had better luck at the lobster shack next door, but my friend didn't want lobster. Her scallops were to *die* for, though:
IMG_1831.JPG

Due to lighting conditions and the capabilities of my camera, most of the photos I took at Hopewell Rocks didn't turn out very well. (Well, perhaps my skill was somewhat to blame too...) Here's some of the better shots:
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1837.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1853.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1917.JPG
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
IMG_1941.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG
There was a foot brush to clean off the mud at the top of the stairs:
IMG_1954.JPG
And here's a bit of info about the flowerpots (Hopewell Rocks):
IMG_1955.JPG

Cute church:
IMG_1969.JPG

It was getting rather late by the time we left the flowerpots, but we had time to see one waterfall in Funday National Park:
IMG_1986.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
It was pretty! Someone had tossed roses in the pool, though, for some reason.

You don't want to mess with moose!
IMG_2016.JPG

Hill ahead!
IMG_2018.JPG

We don't know what this field was:
IMG_2019.JPG
It looked like some sort of cultivation had taken place, but neither of us could tell what it was. There were several fields that looked like this.

Look... another McCabes!
IMG_2021.JPG
This time I had raspberry. (I tried a sample of the maple, but it was too strong for me.) For some reason, I can't remember what my friend had the second time.

This is the *biggest* culvert I've ever seen... a *road* went through it!
IMG_2022.JPG

No comments: