Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The inevitable...

I suppose it was inevitable... I crochet, I'm making an afghan... I made a granny square tonight. My first one. Here it is:

I couldn't resist... my blue elann yarn came tonight (the varigated & near black in the photo), and I wanted a square that used all the colours. Granny just seemed appropriate.

I think I've decided that I don't actually have anything against granny squares, just with how they're frequently used. For example, findingher has a really awesome granny square afghan started, but it looks more like a quilt than something a "granny" ever made. And I remember seeing a nifty cardigan that has granny squares around the bottom and up the placket, but the whole cardigan is the same colour. I guess it's just the frequent bad colour combinations chosen for the squares (to use up leftovers), and their overuse that rubs me the wrong way. I promise to be better, and not be automatically biased against anything containing a granny square. ;)

Oh... and if anyone would like to see the socks I'm currently (actively) working on, click on this link. You'll see my sockapalooza socks ready to start the heels... and what's this? Another sock started? Yeah... I "cleaned up" for my party, and when I went looking for my primary socks the first box I looked in didn't have them. Instead of digging out my other box of sock yarn (yes, I need two!), I decided to start my knitpicks socks. I started them last night, to give myself a break from the unending blue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice colors! Looks like it'll be a pretty afghan. And thanks for pointing me toward your blog, by the way (this is Katie from Stitch & Bitch).

noricum said...

Thanks! Welcome. :)

Heather said...

Great colors! I really like that. Good job. I would love to see what you do with it and the completed project.