Thursday, February 17, 2005

Hip to be Square

Tonight I continued the granny square pattern, but this time I did RAOK squares out of acrylic. I hope the recipient likes them:

I did four squares using coordinating colours... I figured sending just one square might make it not fit in, but this way there'll be some matching (although not identical) squares.

I can now see why my step-great-step-aunt (I think I got those prefixes right... aunt Helen, for short) can produce so many afghans each year... those squares go fast. Aunt Helen made the afghan that's on the back of my couch. I had a great nap under it this evening. :)

Today was a good day... I made pretty good progress on my programming. I now have a hbond slider, although it's still slow... I'll do the "clever" version next. At least now I have *something* to show the visitor next week. :) (Still nothing exciting, but some progress is better than nothing these days.)

To celebrate my progress, I left the office while it was still light out, and had a relaxing evening. I didn't ride my exercise bike, although I should have. (I didn't go for my walk today either. :( ) I had a nap for a bit, then I ate dinner, and then I crocheted while rotting my mind with the tube. (Hence the four RAOK squares.) I've now done more RAOK squares than for my own afghan, so now I feel okay about doing more for mine. :) I'm planning some more striped squares... one red and dark blue, one gray, varigated and dark blue, and one gray and varigated blue. Not all the same stripe pattern, of course. This will tie the afghan together more (lots of striped squares), yet still make every square different.

I didn't feel like doing heels today, so I worked on my knitpick sock some more... it's now nearly at the heel too.

The black arrived for striping in Bob's socks, so I can start those up sometime now too. I thought the black was going to be a varigated charcoal/black, but it's plain black. The colour samples were pretty small, so I couldn't tell. It'll still work fine, just not what I was planning.

Tomorrow I'm going to stop by the post office on the way to school and mail the RAOK and GIBE packages... I didn't mail the GIBE package earlier this week because I needed to finish my hbond slider for the group meeting today... I finished with a whole three minutes to spare. *whew*

Well, I should head to bed soon. G'night!

2 comments:

Jewels said...

Those squares look so nice together!! great idea. Oh, who the heck makes that superwash wool you talked about a few times? I've never seen it or heard of it before,...but as you know, Winnipeg yarn selections aren't huge.

noricum said...

Thanks! :)

Are you talking about the Filatura di Crosa? I think that is the maker... and 501 is the specific yarn. There's nothing else resembling a maker on the label. It says made in Italy. I buy it from elann.com for a pretty decent price, given that it's superwash merino... The solid is $3.89 USD / 50g:

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Filatura+Di+Crosa+501&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=22and the variegated is $4.15 USD / 50g:

http://secure.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=Filatura+Di+Crosa+501+Print&Season=&Company=&Cat=ALLY&ProductType=5&OrderBy=&Count=23Elann is kind of low on stock right now... I hope they get more in. It's kind of funny... Elann is a Canadian company, but all of their prices are USD. You can specify Canadian prices, but they change depending on the exchange rate. I guess they just do a lot of business with the US.