Sunday, February 20, 2005

Early WOW

I know I'm going to be busy Wednesday in preparation for a visitor on Thursday, so I'm doing my WOW early this week. This week it's on crochet, so everyone not interested in crochet can ignore this post. ;)



Working with difficult yarns

I find certain yarns very challenging to work with... TLC Amore and LB Homespun come to mind as two yarns I have recently fought with. My problem is that after doing the initial chain, I can't see where the stitches are to insert the hook for the first row. This is the solution I came up with. It requires a ball of plain yarn in a contrasting colour ("marker yarn").

While making the starting chain, place a loop of marker yarn between the hook and the working yarn for each chain made:

When working the first row, the hook goes through the chains at the locations marked by the marker yarn loops. After you're done with the first row, simply pull the marker yarn out by pulling on the end still attached to the ball... because loops were used, they'll just zip out.

This method also lets you easily see if your chain is twisted, which is useful when you're doing circular crochet. In these next two photos, the first one is twisted, and the second is untwisted.
twisteduntwisted
Easy enough to see?

8 comments:

BuNNi said...

Hey, that's smart! I might have to try that.

Hey, do you mind telling me know how you got those progress bars on the side of your page? They look awesome!

noricum said...

Thanks! :)

The progress bars are just html tables... they're a bit ugly, but okay since I just keep cutting and pasting them, and don't have to type them up from scratch each time. ;) If you look at the page source, it'll show you how their done. (If you don't know how to do that, let me know, and I'll send you the actual code.)

Anonymous said...

What a useful and clever hint! I've often had problems starting off with nubbly-looking yarns because it's tough to find the chain, and your loop thing is a great idea.

alison said...

Great tip! I hate knitting with Homespun. I hadn't thought about how difficult it must be to crochet with!

hi, i'm natalie said...

Excellent bit of crochet genius, Andrea!!

noricum said...

Thanks everyone! :))

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Andrea! I finally had to set aside the cloche I was trying to make w/ Homespun because it was just too frustrating. Next time I'll definitely use this tip!

noricum said...

I'm not sure how to edit really old posts... B named this method "The Acrylic Orb of Wisdom."