Sunday, November 26, 2006

Handspun

I figured it was about time I posted a comparison of spun vs unspun BFL:
Two Ounce Comparison
Two Ounce Comparison
Now, to be fair, the unspun roving really did take up less space while it was still braided.

Does anyone else notice the problem? Um... I'm flying tomorrow, and that green is still roving. I guess it'll be packed that way.

On the other hand, I did finish spinning and plying the purple BFL:
Handspun Singles
Handspun Singles
Three-Ply Handspun
I decided to three-ply it using the Navajo plying method. Because I wanted to three-ply this, I spun it thinner. (Which took for-darn-ever!) I also decided to add more spin to the singles, to give a tighter yarn. I really only should have played with one variable at a time... three-plying doesn't take as much twist out of the singles (from what I can tell), and so putting the same amount of twist in would have been better. However, it looks very yarny, which is good. I'll be able to tell better once it's in a hank. I really need to pack now, but if packing goes fast enough, perhaps I'll hank it tonight before packing. Or perhaps I'll leave it on the spindle on purpose, to protect the spindle. I don't know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cool. I love purple. Can you make me socks with purple?
zoe

noricum said...

Sure, send me an e-mail. :)

Vera said...

Great job on the spinning!