Friday, November 03, 2006

Ace: The Helpful Hardware Place

Wow... it really is.

Yesterday I bought the innards of a push-through light socket to repair the three-way lamp whose switch was broken. We don't actually have a three-way bulb, so we figured using a push-through was easier than a "double-click" turn on the three-way. I asked the guys at Ace if they could think of any reason why I couldn't use a push-through in place of a three-way, and they couldn't see any problem with it either.

Then, today, as I was considering performing the actual lamp surgury, I realized that a three-way turn knob has one hole in the case, and a push-through requires two.

Oops.

J didn't think a New York store would allow me to return a part. I had a bit more faith in logic, and took the part with me.

Not only did they allow the return, but they made it an equal exchange, even though the three-way (which happened to include the case) cost over twice as much! I asked if they were sure, and they said "do you WANT us to charge you?" No, that's quite all right, thanks!!!

One happy camper here, with a working lamp. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, something as small as this can restore my faith in humanity!