Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Blimey

I checked out the links Heather sent me with stitch marker prices, and, um, I think I'd *lose* money selling them! The two sites priced in US dollars work out to $1 to $2 a marker. At the prices I paid for supplies, I think the cheapest ones (no fancy beads) were maybe 70 cents (not counting amortization of tools), and the pear bead alone cost $3! The supplies for the fancy markers ranged in prices from $1 (for the white & blue fish marker) to just over $3.10 (the pear). Since I'm not in large scale production mode, I figured I would charge the base price plus around $2, rounded to the nearest whole dollar.

Do you think $3-$5 per marker is a reasonable price? Or should I just give up the idea of selling them? I'm working on a dissertation, folks, and don't have time to recoup my costs at the rate of pennies per sale. That's just my reality. Please give me your brutally honest opinion.

4 comments:

Liz said...

I think it's a perfectly reasonable price for something handmade and of very good quality. Personally I'd double the cost of materials, maybe a little higher with the 70 cent ones.

Deneen said...

I see them on Etsy all the time, a set of four of them about $5.00. I don't know what to tell you.

Anonymous said...

Brutally honest? Probably not worth your time. Way back when, I used to sell Tarot bags on eBay. They were handmade, one of a kind, with different crystals sewn on the points. I made fairly decent $$ on them until copy-cats came on the scene & undersold me time & again. Pretty soon I was forced out of the market - it wasn't worth my time or effort to compete for pennies. Or, heaven forfend, to lose money on the deal! When the crystals alone were running me $3 to $5 and their bags were selling for $3 to $5 complete, well, you don't have to be a math major to figure that one out!

Anonymous said...

It really depends if you are trying to MAKE money or simply recoup money.

If you wanted to keep a set for yourself, but recoup materials costs on the rest, then sell them for a reasonable price with a narrow profit margin.

If you want to make money, become a personal assistant to someone wealthy.

If you do sell them though, make an announcement and of course I will link to it.