Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Eh?

I was sent this joke-spam a long time ago. I've since wanted to show people, but couldn't find it again. Well, I found it tonight here, and I'm reposting in case that site disappears.

Subject: Understanding Canadians

It has come to my attention that some people are having a tough time understanding Canadians like myself. So I am going to run through a very brief translation of the Canadian dialect and hopefully ease some minds out there.

EH= pronounced AY (similar but not the same as huh)

Eh is a useful word that is very important and is the basis of all Canadian communications.It is used in conjunction with other words, or simply by itself. The tone or the slight difference in exclamations also changes the meaning.

Eh= what did you say?
Eh?= what do you think
EH?= something to say just to end a sentence
Eh!!= WOW!!
EH!?= what do you mean?
Eh??= your joking!!!??
EH!!= Hello..you off in the distance!!!
Eh?= want a donut?
Eh!= sure!!
Eh!Eh!= coffee double cream too please!
Eh?= what you say when you realize you have no money to pay for it
Eh..cmon eh?= asking them to let you pay for it next time.
hey..eh!= want to go to the drive in movie??
Eh...uhuh= yes sure!
Eh..y'know= Ill pick you up at 8
Eh..cmon!!= well thats early..but ok
Eh..wanna?eh?= lets fool around
EHHHHHHH= sounds coming from the car
hey..um..er eh...= Im pregnant
EH?????????= how did that happen?
EHHehhEHHehhEHHH= sounds from the delivery room
EHHH ehh EHHH ehh= babys first cry
Ehh..whadya think eh?= marry me

4 comments:

Deneen said...

Eh is one of the things of think of with a Canadian dialect, as is the word about. I say it a-bowelt. You say it a-boot (or something similar)-drives me bonkers!

noricum said...

John says I do, but he needs to secretly record me. If I say it when thinking about it it sounds completely normal. I'm not sure I believe him when he says I say it funny. Paulina I think would catch me too, but never recorded me either. ;)

The one that gets me is "roof", that some northern US states prounounce "ruff". We'd get some TV channels from there, and the adds would drive me nuts! "Ruff" is what a dog says, not what's on a house!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

AHHHH HHAAAA HAH!

I love it! I need to improve my vocabulary...

Anonymous said...

Canadians DO NOT pronounce about "aboot"! About is a preposition. A boot is footware!!! Or the trunk of a car if you are British (but that'a another blog).