Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Article

Um, I saw this disturbing CBC article: Restrict pesticides to reduce suicides: WHO. Now, they do say that many people interviewed between ingesting the poison and dying just wanted attention... but wouldn't a better idea be to fix the root causes? People who are seriously considering suicide (for whatever reason) will find a way.

I don't know, but perhaps a way to reduce suicides is actually to take the opposite approach: legalize them. People who truly want to die (yes, they exist) can check themselves in, and then there is some set period of waiting time (a day? a week? a month?) between when they check in and when they are given a painless death, so that they have time to change their minds. Optional counseling should be available, but in no way forced on the patients.

I don't know. It's sad when people are so miserable that they want to die.

2 comments:

Marvie said...

I agree. Legalize it.

It shouldn't just be for depressed folks though, they should allow terminally ill people too. I personally, do not want to live through weeks/months/years of needless pain and suffering just because some do-gooder thinks I should. I would have a written document stating my wishes just in case I were suddenly put in a situation such as that but couldn't state my wishes aloud.

What's the difference between that and a Living Will or taking a person off life support really?

noricum said...

I agree... which is why I used the word "miserable" instead of depressed.