Friday, March 24, 2006

Religions Baffle Me

So, there's a guy right now facing a possible death penalty over in Afghanistan... for converting to Christianity from Islam. President Hamid Karzai is assuring Canada that this won't happen, but there are Muslim clerics calling for his death.

First off, I disagree with a death penalty for *anything*. Life in prison for certain crimes? I'm all for it. But not the death penalty. Judicial systems can and do make mistakes, and nothing justifies murder, even if that murder is committed on behalf of the government. Besides, people can change and redeem themselves. Death is final. (Especially for an atheist like me.)

However, in this case, the thing that really bothers me is the "crime". Ignore what the religions are... that's not important. Although death penalties aren't necessarily involved, lots of religions have crap like this. Religion A wants to punish person X for abandoning A and joining B. Think about it. Now, wouldn't it mean *more* if people were part of your religion A as a *choice* than out of fear of what you'll do to them? Sure, you may believe they'll burn in hell, or whatever equivalent, but shouldn't they have the right to *choose* what they believe in? Don't *you* have a choice to belive the way you do? What if someone was forcing *you* to convert? Wouldn't that tick you off?

I like to have a "live and let live" policy where it comes to religion. I have none, but I'm fine with you having your beliefs as long as you don't try to force them on me. However, should you come to my door in an attempt to "save" me, I reserve the right to question and/or ridicule and/or insult your beliefs. (After all, you started it.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You want the kicker? This case is being brought against him by his FAMILY over a custody issue. THAT's sick. "I don't agree with how you're raising your child, so I'll have the government execute you so I can raise it how I see fit." I don't have a link, but that's the version I heard on NPR this morning.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I found a link to the NPR "article": http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5298888

noricum said...

I knew that it was his family, but I hadn't realized it was caused by a custody battle. Sheesh! That would explain why they waited 15 years (or whatever it was) before turning him in. :P

Thanks for the link. :)

Karla said...

I really like how you wrote: "Now, wouldn't it mean *more* if people were part of your religion A as a *choice* than out of fear of what you'll do to them?"

As a Christian, I know that God wants us to be with Him because we CHOOSE to, not because some preacher has misrepresented Him and told his followers that God will burn you in hell or cause lightning to strike you dead if you do such-and-such. God doesn't want His children to come to Him out of fear but out of love. And though I don't know what makes you atheist or anyone else "atheist", if there are influencing factors or not, I do believe that a lot of atheists are created because of this misrepresentation of God. I respect everyone's freedom to choose for themselves because I know that this freewill to choose for ourselves came from God Himself. He forces noone and yet He still loves EVERYONE, no matter their choice.

You said it perfectly in your statement. And I agree..."Live and let live".

noricum said...

Thanks Karla. :)