Friday, August 25, 2006

Scrap Sock Yarn Blanket

(Look! A crafty post! Finally! More to come soon...)

My blanket from leftover sock yarn is progressing:
Blanket Progress
I'm really going through my sock yarn leftovers. Here's what's left:
Remaining Sock Yarn Scraps
Well, this is all of the superwash wool type. I have some more of non-superwash wool, or cotton blends, but not much of either of those. (Looking at this picture it looks like a lot, but it really isn't. All that stuff on the left? They'll maybe do a few rows of a square each. The ball with the band is partially used. Medium sized balls will do one square, larger ones will do two.)

Do you think I should include my cotton blends in the blanket? Or would those squares "feel" too different? Or wear too different? Hmmm... It's not like adding the cotton blends will actually give me that much more to work with, but I do have some pretty scraps.

I'll be getting some more sock yarn scraps from others too... The Heathen Housewife has offered to share some of her Harlot windfall, and Jess mentioned she might have some more leftovers kicking around. Hey, Jess... do you recognize the square made from a previous "left-over" gift you sent me? ;)

Speaking of gift yarn, there's also yarn there from Heather, Bethany, Josie, Kim, H, and my mom! Hmmm... have I missed anyone in that list? (Everyone has been *so* generous! Thanks again!!!)

I'm also wanting to finish up my current pair of red socks... I can't wait to add that to the mix! :)

However, if anyone else has leftover bits of superwash wool sock yarn burning holes in your stash, I'm happy to provide it a good home. :) (With or without nylon is fine... I'm already using both.)

Hmmm... what squares to add next...?
Blanket planning

7 comments:

Deneen said...

I adore the color and how it is working out. I'll go through my stash and see what I have. I have mostly 100% wool, but must have some superwash mixed in.

noricum said...

Oooo! Thank you!!! :)

Deneen: did you know you already have a connection to the blanket? Leftovers from the socks I made you are in it. :)

StarKnits said...

i wonder if there is a way to treat your non superwash wool to make it superwash... really all you'd have to worry aobut is just hangying the blanket to dry. i think if you use the cotton you'll finish up with a great blanket. maybe post on the knitty board that you're willing to give sock yarn scraps a good home or craftster. i bet you'll get TONS more...
i really like the way your blanket is turning out!

noricum said...

Well, there is *some* way, since the yarn companies know how to do it. I think it's a secret, or something that can only be done with the right equipment, or something, because I haven't seen anything on the web.

Thanks for the tips... I'll post to knitty or crafster when I run out... since I already know I'm getting some more from The Heathen Housewife, I want to make sure I don't end up with too much! ;)


Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

how large are the mitres? :)

That is going to be a really cool blanket! I recognize a bunch of the yarn you've used in it, either from sock you've made or just by recognizing the yarn! heh.

I have some things pulled together for you, but I think some of it is MORE leftovers of stuff I've already sent before, so I am trying to figure that out. Maybe if I finish my Trekking socks... ;)

noricum said...

Thanks Jess!

The mitres are half the length of my crystal palace #4 dpns, which I think are 8". (I'm too lazy to dig out my tape measure right now... it's a pain to get back in it's pocket.) I'm using the #4's to knit them in garter stitch, and each square starts out 25 stitches per side.

Thanks for finding leftovers for me too! I think the only one that I'm using from you in the blanket is the red multi one near the bottom right. I'm pretty sure I used up the rest of the sock yarn scraps you sent me, except the Koigu, which I'm saving for striped socks right now. Here's the old post with the toe socks I made:

http://noricum.blogspot.com/2005/07/toe-socks.html

However, I do know we've used some of the same yarns... like that Opal Rainforest Collection! ;)

Ooooo! Trekking leftovers!!! *drool* I'm quite willing to wait if there's hope of Trekking leftovers! :) They make such pretty mitres! (I've got my Trekking yarn all queued up for socks just so I can add the leftovers sooner! Even though some more cotton blend socks would be useful right now...)

LG said...

It will look very pretty when finished!!!