Thursday, August 24, 2006

French

I basically do not speak French. Yes, I am a bilingual Canadian, but my second language is German. (I'll admit to atrocious grammar in German, but I do reasonably well with it.) I had 45 minutes a day of French in grades four, five, and six, but that was a *really* long time ago. Not that much has stuck with me.

However, just now I got to use some of the little French I *do* know. :)

Phone rings.
Me: Hello?
Lady: (no idea, but it sounded French)
Me: Um, je ne parle pas Francais. ("I do not speak French.")
Lady: Oh, sorry, is X there?
Me: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.

Not bad, huh? (Just kidding.) Yeah, I'd like to learn French one day, I just haven't gotten around to it. Besides some miscellaneous words, here's most of the other phrases I know:

Est-que tu parle Anglais? ("Do you speak English?")
Est-que tu parle Allemande? ("Do you speak German?")
Ferme la bouche. ("Shut your mouth." The favourite phrase of our grade six French teacher.)
Quel age a tu? ("How old are you?" That one's been *real* useful, as you can guess.)

As you may be able to tell, just because I remember how to say them doesn't mean I also remember how to write them. ;)

No comments: