Monday, August 07, 2006

Flin Flon: Fishing

Mom and Bob took me, J, JM, and V fishing one day at the lake. There were two boats, the boys' and the girls'. (I would have preferred to be with J, but Bob's a bit competitive when it comes to fishing.)

I hooked one only moments after I put my line in the water, but it spat the hook out after giving me a baleful glare. (We have to use barbless hooks now... better for catch and release, worse for catch and eat. Also, there's only one net, and it was in teh boys boat. We have to be quick and lucky to land them without a net and barbs.) After trolling for a bit, I caught another fish in the same spot. Here's mom with my fish on a stringer:
Mom With My Fish
Oh... we were fishing for jack fish... that's northern pike for non-locals. V caught something the same time as I did, but it was, um, not the same species:
Not A Fish
V did catch a jack a short while later, though.

After we had two fish in our boat (it didn't take long at all... maybe 10 minutes), we went to see how the boys were doing. (Mom hadn't caught anything yet, but we didn't want to catch more than we could eat.) The boys had one fish on the stringer, and J had nearly caught a monster-sized jack... but then the leader broke. Bummer!

We ladies went off to explore that corner of the lake for a bit so that J would have a chance to land a fish. (I'm not sure if J cared, but mom thought it would be nice if he got one.) Finally the boys had two more fish (JM caught two, J one), so we went back to the cabin... where the taking of serious photos commenced. (There were at least four cameras out.)
Photo Op
Here's J with the fish from the boys' boat:
J With Fish
Here's me with the girls' fish, plus my sock-in-progress:
Me, Fish, Sock

Those fish were good eating! They fed six that night, and four the next. (JM and V had to head home.) Yum!!! Fresh caught fish cooked on a wood stove. :)

No comments: