Saturday, August 05, 2006

Flin Flon

The last load of laundry is in the wash now, so I think I'll catch up on my Flin Flon posts.

The day we drove up to the cabin was a beautiful sunny day.
Sock View

We got an early start (rolled out of bed at 5:30am, on the road shortly after 6am... no, I was not concious), and so reached The Pas in time for a late lunch. J doesn't like chain restauraunts, so we stopped at a "Mr Rib" because neither of us had heard of it. It turns out it was a chain, but a small one only in northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan. J felt he had to had ribs at a place named "Mr Rib." The only rib option at lunch time was the dry ribs. This was the first time J had breaded ribs:
Lunch at Mr Rib
The new management at Mr Rib didn't sound too friendly... there was a sign in the kitchen saying that new management had taken over July 16, and all employees were to consider that sign their notice of termination, effective the end of July. I don't know about you, but I think I would be rather pissy at getting a sign posted in a kitchen rather than individual letters, at a bare minimum. Given how small The Pas is, you'd think the new management wouldn't want to get off on the wrong foot with it's potential employee and customer base.

I didn't get a "before and after" of packing Mini due to the early hour. I did, however, get before and after shots of the unpacking:
Mini Packed
Mini Unpacked (Mostly)
(Note that there is still a bit left in the car.) We then packed everything up in the boat and headed for the cabin.

At the cabin we used the manual, written by my uncle D, to open up the cabin. J lit the propane fridge and water heater while I unlocked everything, screwed in the solar power fuses, and primed the pump. (We have an electric pump now.) By then we were quite hot, so we jumped in the lake. Aaaaaaaa!

The first two nights we stayed in the part of the cabin my mom likes to call the "thousand-dollar-a-night suite." It's a screened in porch that overlooks the bay. Here was the view from there the next morning:
Sparkly Water
(I actually stepped outside to take this photo so that I wouldn't have the screen in the way, but the view is basically the same.

We arrived at the lake Saturday afternoon, and mom, Bob, JM and V didn't arrive until Monday afternoon. We took advantage of the quiet (well, it was quiet after we removed the batteries from the three ticking clocks) to take lots of naps. *Lots* of naps. Ahhhhhhhh!

J still did the cooking... but he felt that man-fire-meat was more appropriate than 15 ingredient pastas:
J Playing With Fire
J does very well with the man-fire-meat cooking method too. :)

1 comment:

hi, i'm natalie said...

Oooooh, you are *SO* lucky!!

and ...

"I actually stepped outside to take this photo so that I wouldn't have the screen in the way, but the view is basically the same."

I love that you mentioned this, because while looking at the picture before I got to reading that, I was thinking, 'Hey, there's no screen!'