Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mobile Blogging

It's currently 9:40 CDT, 10:40 EDT. I'm sitting in the truck, about
half way between Galesburg and Davenport. What state? I'm not sure.
I think it's either Iowa or Illinois. I can't tell from where the GPS
map is zoomed what state we're in. I think we're still in the same
state as Peoria, but given that current travels include three "I"
states in a row, I'm lucky just to remember which order we've passed
through them in. (At least, I think I remember the order.)

I just saw a road sign... looks like we're still in Illinois. That
would mean we've only done two "I" states today, leaving the third for
tomorrow.

Yes, I'm rambling. It's dark, so I would have difficulty knitting or
crocheting. I feel like rambling, and since it's my blog... if you
don't like it, you can go read someone else's blog. ;)

We had dinner at Cracker Barrel tonight. Mmmmm! Boy, am I ever
stuffed! I *loooove* their biscuits. M said she doesn't eat there
because they have discriminatory policies (or, at least they used to)
against gays and maybe African Americans too? (I can't remember
exactly, and with the noise in Fosters, I have some trouble hearing all
of the conversation at SNB.) However, I've now eaten there a half
dozen times over the past years, and, although many people mistake me
for being a lesbian (no, short hair has nothing to do with sexual
orientation), I've never had problems there. I guess that means
they've either mended their ways, or that the discriminatory policies
only affect hiring. Well, after last night's disaster, and how much I
*love* their biscuits, I've decided to give them the benefit of the
doubt until I can do some google research on the topic. (Although
since I'll be leaving CB territory, I may get lazy and not do so until
I plan a return trip south.)

I'm so full, I couldn't even eat all the biscuits! (We've saved them
for later.)

Continuing on...

Today's been pretty uneventful. We did get some showers on and off. I
saw two semis with bikes strapped on the back. (I found that rather
amusing.)

Right now (9:55) we're passing a sparkly silver-green boat.

At twilight, there was some really neat mist rising off the streams,
ponds, and lakes, but it was too dark to get a photo.

Now we're following a "STAR" semi. Now we're passing it.

Illinois seems to be fond of guns. Several places we passed
nursery-rhyme style poems encouraging fear and gun ownership.

We left the mapping software route in a few places. Sometimes
intentional, sometimes not. One was because I was inattentive, and
another because Dad got confused. (The two intentional times were due
to a stupid route plotted by the mapping software, and construction.)

The silver-green sparkly boat just passed us now.

I had a BLT from Subway for lunch. Yum. :) Today the lady actually
understood when I asked for a BLT. In the past I had to specify I
wanted a "veggie delight with bacon," which left them just as confused,
but with a way to punch it into the computer. In fact, I was quite
impressed with their competence today... I couldn't even confuse them
by asking them to crisp up the bacon and pat off the extra grease with
a napkin. (Maybe last time I used the word "serviette," which is
apparently a Canadian word of French origin.) My BLT had bacon,
lettuce and tomato (of course), plus black olives, red onions, banana
peppers, spinach, and a sprinkle of black pepper. I enjoyed that
combination. :)

Yes, I'm still rambling, it's still dark, and we're still on the road.
(10:06 CDT.)

We got a late start this morning. Even though it was rather late when
we stopped, I figured we'd want to make up time today. Had I been
travelling with mom and Bob, we likely would have been up at 7 and out
the door at 8. Dad didn't wake up until nearly 9, and it was a bit
after 10 when we left. I didn't want to wake him, since I wanted him
well rested for driving. However, I had trouble sleeping late because
I kept thinking I had to be up momentarily.

Hotel ahead. I'll shut up now. (10:11)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you eat the bread at subway, or did you move the sandwich innards to your own bread? :)

this mobile blogging is fun to read! you should have lots of comments when you get to winnipeg! :)

Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia:

Early in the 2000s Cracker Barrel faced accusations including a pattern of racial discrimination in its treatment of customers. After national press attention to these accusations, the company announced explicit policies intended to address the charges, and the most prominent critics have not repeated their criticisms. Stores now display a sign in their front foyer clarifying this policy, as has become the policy after a similar incident involving Denny's restaurants. In March 2006, Cracker Barrel agreed to pay $2 million to settle class allegations of sexual and racial discrimination brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC v. Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.).

In 1991, Cracker Barrel instituted a policy requiring employees to display "normal heterosexual values which have been the foundation of families in our society." The company refused to change their policy in the face of protest demonstrations by gay rights groups, but in 2002, the company's stockholders voted to rescind the practice after ten years of efforts by the New York City Employees Retirement System, a major shareholder.

Cracker Barrel is one of eight companies indicted and accused of making alleged illegal campaign contributions to the Texans for a Republican Majority political action committee, started by Tom DeLay.[citation needed]

Ask and ye shall receive. :-)

(I like eating there, too.)

noricum said...

Jess: Yeah, I can eat the bread. They don't seem to use sesame seeds, and the rest of my allergies are fairly minor. (They haven't threatened to kill me.)

Hmmm... maybe I'll type up some more mobile blog posts. ;) I have photos, but no time to upload them now.

Thanks Bethany!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, more mobile blog posts. The photos are great!

H