Saturday, June 10, 2006

Customer Cleanup in Toilet Paper Aisle

Toilet Paper Aisle
Toilet Paper Aisle

Leave it to me to be homesick in Winnipeg.

Mom and Bob left for Toronto last Wednesday, so I've been in an empty house since. It's been so long since I've been doing my grocery shopping here. I don't even know what kind of toilet paper to buy!

I started feeling panicky, so I sat down in the empty aisle beside my cart. Then I pulled my hat over my face, and started crying.

Male voice: "Are you alright?"
Me: "Yes."
Male voice: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes." (Nod, with hat still on face.)

I hear more people coming, so I try to pull myself together. (There's starting to be a bit of a crowd.)
Elderly couple: "Are you alright?"
Me: "Yes."
Elderly couple: "Are you sure?"
Me: "Yes. I'm just homesick."
Elderly couple: "Where are you from?"
Me: "Ironically, Winnipeg, but I've been going to school in the states for 6 years, I just got home, and my parents are out of town. I don't even know what kind of toilet paper to buy."
Elderly couple: "For today, anything will do. We buy..."
...
I finish pulling myself together, put my hat on my head and pull the brim low, and continue grocery shopping.

I'm pathetic. I want my mom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sweetie....

:::big hugs::::

Pam said...

Ugh, homesickness is the worst. Hang in there, it will pass. Besides, it's too hot to be in NC right now anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! Too many big changes and no Mom!

Fortunately, she'll be back.

(But you are completely correct. There _are_ too many choices. Even in the toilet paper aisle.)

Hang on. Things will get better.

H

Anonymous said...

*HUGS*

I'm sorry. You'll get through it, though!

Anonymous said...

aw :(

*hugs* it'll get better and you'll slip into new-old routines in winnipeg.

Anonymous said...

OHH! I feel your pain, changing scenes is much easier said than done, aside from any excitement that helps the transition. I didn't realize you'd been here for that long. Wow.

Yeah what Pam said. Hot. Hot and rainy!

ps. responded to your Wyvern ?