Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Groceries

Groceries
Groceries

From left to right:

1. Aaaaaa! They're out of my milk substitute!!! Hmm... I guess I'll give the store brand a try.

2. Grrr... the dashi I could find had MSG, so I got bonito flakes instead. They don't come in the neat little tea bags, though, like the dashi J buys.

3. No wonder I couldn't find mirin in the grocery store... "mirin" is not one of the words they chose to print in a language I can read.

I must have bought the right stuff, because the cold noodles tasted great! However, next time I should ignore the instructions to cook the soba noodles for 6-7 minutes... they ended up *quite* soft, and then got all glued together.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I've never tried canned soymilk - do you use it in place of cream?

I'm guessing that if that's PC brand stuff that you're shopping at Superstore - if you're looking for more stuff, I like the Oriental Market at the corner of Logan and ?King - has tons of stuff and great prices for non-perishable items. If you're looking for living stuff, my brother has had good luck with a little grocery store at the south end of McPhillips (near Notre Dame), where he's found good kafir lime leaves, Thai basil, and a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten.

noricum said...

The groceries are actually from two sources. The soy milk is indeed from Superstore, and is what I use on cereal in place of regular milk. It's a concentrate, so I need to water it down. It's actually a baby formula... long story. Basically that was all that was available when I was a kid, and I've never managed to switch.

The Japanese products are from a store on Portage out past Polo Park. I tried a store on McPhillips, but it didn't have what I needed. (The dashi there also had MSG, and the mirin wasn't labelled as such.) I'll give that other store a try.