Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Green Handspun

Last night I started my green handspun toque, even though I wasn't sure I had the correct dpns. I have a set of Clover bamboo #5s, and a set of Susan Bates #8. The #8's are probably closer to the right size, but are only a set of four, and extremely slippery. I didn't want to deal with the nightmare of them. So I swatched with the #5s:
Swatch
Dense, but seems okay. (Warm is good for a toque.) I checked gauge (dangerous on such a little swatch, but I didn't want to stress my handspun too much), cast on 80 stitches, and had at it:
Toque, Take 1
I started off with a few rows of stockinette for a roll brim, then a few rows of ribbing to stop the brim from rolling too much. Then back to stockinette.

Problems:
1. Out of yarn. (Need to spin that other 2 oz!)
2. Too snug: I knit tighter than my gauge swatch.

I really need some bigger needles. I have KnitPicks options size 6, but that isn't much bigger. I could really use #7s or #8s. Given how much of the needles 80 stitches took over five, there's no way my set of four slippery #8s are going to cut it. (Unless I resort to elastic bands to hold the stitches on, but that's a pain in the tush.) I do have my Boye set, but the cables are *so* stiff, and the longer ones are also currently in use.

I need to check my small supply of random circulars. I know I have a #10.5 and a #11, but I suspect those will be too big, especially for the other two toques I need to make.

I think I need to head back to my LYS. (Danger!!!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Love the colors. I think for a hat on #5s, I'd automatically go up to at least 100st for the cast-on. I've seen ribbed hats in Brown Sheep worsted on larger needles that were 120st and worked out fine. If I've done 80st, it's been on size 10 or 10 1/2 needles.

noricum said...

Thanks for the tips. :) I have very little experience with hats... I based the cast-on on my gauge swatch and head circumference. I can pull it on, but it's *definitely* snug. I don't particularly like tight hats.

Anonymous said...

If it is worsted I cast on about 90 stitches on size 8's. I knit most of my hats on size 8's and get a fabulous fabric from it. You can then start your decrease with K8, K2tog. or K7, K2tog as both are divisible into 90. By the way, I love you spun yarn, it is pretty!

noricum said...

Thanks Wendy!

Anonymous said...

isn't it cool to see your handspun knit up?! :) it looks great!

On 5s, I'd be inclined to CO 90-100 as heather said. If you like the fabric the 5s are making, go ahead with the 5s, but I'd cast on 10+ more stitches.

Also: a trick if you can't find 6s or 7s in your stash o' needles: cast on more loosely. This tends to loosen up your stitches just a bit, and relax the gauge. It might just work for you in this case. :)

You could also start at the top of the hat instead with the smaller needles, and then move to larger needles later. ;)

Dandy said...

very nice... what if you added in some purple stripes??

noricum said...

I should have enough once I spin up the other two ounces. I have an idea for some purple embellishments. ;)