Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Monday on the Town

New Bridge
New Bridge

Monday after school I met Mom and B at the Forks. We had dinner at Sals on the new bridge (seen above), and then walked down Broadway to see the painted polar bears. If you're curious, here's the official Bears on Broadway webpage.

Broadway is one of the large streets downtown, and it's quite pretty. It has two lanes each way, with a wide boulevard down the center, and well-established American elms.

Here are some of my favourite bears:

Loony Bear

Prairie View Bear

Nanook in Sealskins

Winnie The Roo - Bedtime Bear

Seeds of Hope

(Click on the photos to get bear titles and artists names.)

Here's the Manitoba legislature with some more bears out front:

Manitoba Legislature

After seeing all the bears, (well, those that were on or near Broadway) we went down to the riverwalk and walked back to the Forks where the car was parked. Mom was wearing a pedometer... the walk was 4km.

A nice walk. Of course, I already had two walks at the university, one short and one long, and walked from the downtown library (where I got off the bus) to the Forks... that trip was probably 1.5km.

I was rather sore and achy by the time I got home. I didn't regret any of it, though. ;)

Here's the view of the bridge when we got back to the Forks:

Bridge at Sunset

4 comments:

pfirsch said...

Those bears are awesome! Ulm has sparrows instead. Now I wish I had taken pictures of more of them while I was there.

My dad and the boy fixed the a/c :D

noricum said...

Cute sparrow. ;) A lot of cities seem to be doing this themed, painted animal thing these days. I think the bears are going to be auctioned off to support cancer care.

Yay for AC!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Houston did painted cows a few years back. You still find one or two around in various places these days, but I think they're wherever the people who bought them on auction put them.

I like the bears, though. Especially the one in the kangaroo pajamas! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the bears.

Sallie