Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Idle Thoughts

I'm watching the National Geographic special on whales (or I was... I've drifted over to my computer now), and I had an idle idea about the reason behind why whales beach themselves. I seem to recall whales evolved from land mammals. What does a land mammal do when it's threatened in the water? It gets out! What if there's some really old instinct to get out of the water when threatened? Most of the time nothing is going to threaten a whale, but what if the sonar and pollutants mess with their mind enough that they need out?

Just a silly idle thought. :)

I feel sad for the whales, and the state of the marine ecosystem.

Speaking of messed up ecosystems, the people of Niger could really use our help now. I saw some photos on the news of the starving people... it was truly scary!

No comments: