Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Yarn Reward

Well, last Sunday night I had a look at my finances. I have enough in the bank down here to pay off my credit card and the bills that are due, plus cover me until I go home for Christmas. Yay! And looking at the "income and expenses" graph, I did pretty well compared to how I was doing previously:
Finances
(Can you guess when my tuition bills were due?)

So, it was time for my Noro reward. It's perhaps a bit earlier than I was thinking, but I have the hope that it might arrive before I leave, and they were having a bit of a sale. Not much of a sale... but buying any Berroco yarn resulted in 5% off the *entire* order. Adding up the Noro and the pattern book, and taking into account the cost of Berroco yarn, that worked out essentially as a free ball of Berroco yarn. ;)

I browsed all their Berroco yarns, and balanced cost against coolness against how likely I'd find a use for it. I finally settled on Berroco Foliage. Although I was really tempted by the colour "Chinese Lantern":
Berroco Foliage 5961
I went for the still-lovely, but more likely to match my other clothing, "Bachelor Button":
Berroco Foliage 5990
I think it'll be just enough to make the fingerless mittens (or whatever they're called) from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'll have to do some recalculating, since this yarn knits up at a different gauge, but there should be enough yarn. It knits at a coarser gauge, and has the required yardage. So, unless I miscalculated... ;)

I was tugged around by the Noro Silk Garden too... I still really wanted #08, but was also fond of #224, which had a notice that they were running low. Here's #08 and #224, for comparison:
Noro Silk Garden 08 Noro Silk Garden 224
I decided to stick with my original plan of #08. I haven't seen #224 knitted up, so I don't know if there's surprises not shown in the swatch. And I do love #08, and tend to wear those colours anyway.

I'm hoping the package arrives before I leave. It's sent regular post, so will be held with the rest of my mail if it doesn't, but I'd rather not worry the whole holiday season. Plus, if it arrives on time, I can bring the Berroco along to work on in Winnipeg. (I don't have room in my luggage for the silk garden, since I'll be bringing back some stuff for my mom... having stuff sent to me saves on customs and shipping.

I do feel a bit guilty about my splurge, but it's what kept me in check all term... and if I don't follow through with my promises to myself, maybe I won't belive myself the next time. (And I'm going to have to hold my spending in check next term too!)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

how were you able to chose?? such gorgeous yarns! so what's on the menu for them????

noricum said...

Well, I wanted to buy them all, but that wasn't possible with my budget. ;) It was tough deciding.

The Silk Garden is for a Klaralund, and the Foliage is for fingerless mittens.