Saturday, December 03, 2005

Help.

Please. Please help.

I got the Elann catalog today. On the front page, the Rowan Rowanspun yarn is *really* tempting me. In particular, I think a cardigan out of Lunar:
Rowanspun Lunar
with Hansel trim:
Rowanspun Hansel
and a Jade edging:
Rowanspun Jade
would look really cool. The cardigan would use the same basic styling as Oakley (shown in the newsletter, from A Season's Tale by Kim Hargreaves), but I wouldn't do the leaves (they're pretty, but I don't feel like doing the colourwork), and I'd do the seed/moss stitch in Hansel, and then add an icord style edging in Jade.

Guessing from what Oakley uses, I'd buy 14 balls of Lunar, 2 of Hansel, and 1 of Jade. With Elann's pricing, that's $46.75 plus shipping. Or, I discovered Webs has it even cheaper: $44.03 plus shipping. (Elann's price is 50% off the standard price.)

Please help me talk myself out of this. Suitable comments include:
1. Rowanspun is scratchy. (Note: I have no idea what Rowanspun feels like. The newsletter claims it's soft.)
2. You're insane to consider knitting a sweater on size 2-3 needles.
3. Those colours will really look bad together.
4. Do you really need a cardigan in those colours when you just finished picovoli in similar colours?
5. You have no money. You really shouldn't be using your savings on frivolous things like yarn.
6. You have tons of yarn in your stash that you should use up before buying more yarn for sweaters.
7. You'll find something else you like better later.
8. Your design sense sucks. Icord edging? What are you thinking?
9. ...?

Please help? Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's rowanspun 4ply? you don't want to knit a sweater on tiny tiny needles unless you don't want to wear it for a couple of years. ;)

[I have some of the rowanspun dk -- it's nice, but it breaks very easily, so you can't tug on it very hard. ]

Did that help? :)

noricum said...

Thanks! Yep, this helped. :)

none said...

Size 1 and size 2 needles...you are crazy!

Pam said...

I'd go with #2,5 and 6. But I feel your pain.

MrsFife said...

#3 and #4 work for me...

noricum said...

Thanks everyone! The Elann newsletter is now in recycling. ;)