Wednesday, December 14, 2005

FO

I finished off a bunch of stuff last night. Not only did I finish seaming mini-Weasley, and *finally* wove in the last ends on picovoli (finished picture when it warms up outside), but I finished off a scrap-jeans crazy quilt. This was a rather fun project that killed several birds with one stone...
1. My old cotton blanket was on it's last legs, and I wanted a replacement.
2. I had several pairs of jeans cluttering up my closet that were too ratty to give to good will, but too good to throw out. (And no longer worked as work clothes due to, um, "growth" on my part.)
3. I enjoy crafting.

I got the idea on one of the blogs I read. I can't remember which... it was quite a while ago. I did half the blanket over Thanksgiving, a quarter last weekend, and then finished up last night. (I wanted it off my craft table so I could finish off my dad's Christmas present tonight.)

Here it is pre-washing, in a heap on my floor:
Jeans Quilt (pre-washing)
and here it is post-washing and trimming, in a heap on my dishwasher:
Jeans Quilt (post-washing and trimming)
And here's the trimmings:
Trimmings
The edges are left unfinished so they fray and make fuzzy borders around each piece. I used a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine to sew the pieces together so they wouldn't pull apart when frayed. (I also put a seam around the outside edge to limit how much it frayed there.)

I think the blog I was reading said to make little cuts to help the fraying, but I'm lazy. And it's a bit more entertaining to cut the long tangles of thread off afterwards. ;)

I put it through the washer and dryer again, for good measure.

That reminds me... when I pulled it out of the dryer the first time, it was funny how much lint there was: the *entire* lint-catcher was full to overflowing! I imagine it will continue to be linty due to the frayed edgings.

I'll take another photo tonight of it on my bed. :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

fabulous!!! ummmm - where's the photo of it ON the bed???
i can't wait to see it!

noricum said...

Wednesday night I was busy packing, and then Thursday morning, when I had planned to take the photo, the power was out. I was too rushed after school/before flying that I didn't have time then.