Thursday, October 13, 2005

Seaming Sucks

I didn't want to accidentally stretch any of the pieces while measuring and pinning, so I first pinned the pieces to the bed. On one side of the body, both the front and back measured 25.5 inches. On the other, one measured 25", the other measured 26". Same sum, different center. Hmmm. I measured the sleeves. One measured 23" wide, the other 24".

Starting on the uneven side, I marked 13.5" from the bottom on each side, then pinned one sleeve to the body. On the other side, I placed markers at both 13.5" and 14". The 14" markers worked better without stretching, so I used those. Then I went back to adjust the other side to 14" from the bottom... but when I measured, that's what it was. Without repinning.

So I started seaming. It took me an *hour* to sew one sleeve to the body. Yikes.

After the one sleeve, I went back to the crayons. The orange crayon is now finished, and I've started the green. (I really wanted to do purple next, but decided I should really do green. Don't ask me why.) It's strange, the green yarn is quite a bit thicker than the other colours, including the charcoal (which was thicker than most of the colours itself). I'm getting a different gauge. I may have to do some adjusting in the number of rows so that I don't get puckering. Hmmm... maybe I'll do the purple next after all...

Speaking of sucks, I found a downside to bloglines accepting hotkeys: my command keys (for things like new tab, etc) get caught and not handled by bloglines (correct), but also not passed on to the browser (incorrect). So my regularly used command keys are defunct when the bloglines tab is the selected (or only) tab. Grrr. That's a rather sloppy programming/design mistake.

Yikes! Will you look at the time! Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you have the knitter's book of finishing techniques? It's a good one! (and Theresa posted her review yesterday).

Are the shoulders already attached?

I've found that my process looks like:
* block items to proper dimensions so they are the same size -- sometimes you WANT to stretch them a little if two sleeves are just slightly different sizes.
* safety pin pieces together and try on for sanity (if it's for me; I didn't try on the baby cardi!)
* seam shoulders, then sleeves, then body (knitted on buttonbands and such done where it makes sense).
* wash again and block again if necessary.

Seaming sweaters takes me forever too. That's why I decided I would only do it on the weekend, at the dining room table. :)

Can't wait to see your finished Weasley !!

noricum said...

I have and read that, but I don't have anywhere where I can block my sweater pieces. My floor is hardwood, and it's so humid around here that if I pinned it to my bed, it wouldn't be dry in time for me to sleep. (I'll let P have my bed, but not a sweater!)

The shoulders are already attached so that I could work the neck in the round. (The instructions said to join one shoulder and work flat, but I couldn't see the point to that.)