Thursday, October 27, 2005

Over-thinking

(Yes, apparently the chatty me is back after a period of relatively low blogging output. I have no idea why.)

I think I'm really over-thinking my crayon blanket. Right now I'm deciding which way up I want to put the text on the crayons. I have a couple of options.
  1. alternate the orientations, so they're all the same way up when assembled
  2. orient the text so that it would be the right way up for someone right-handed
  3. orient the text so that it would be the right way up for someone left-handed
  4. Put writing on both sides, one oriented for right-handed people, the other for left-handed people, and then assemble the blanket so that the orientations on each side alternate, so they're all the right way up on both sides.
I like the last option best, but I'm not sure I have enough coloured yarn left over for that plan.

Which way will confuse a growing child less? Is orienting the text for a right-handed child discriminatory? Would gray text look good, or out of place?

Of course, the most pertinent question is probably Is the baby really going to care?

But *I* care.

*sigh*

I'm going to finish my spare crayon first, and then see how much yarn the text takes. Maybe I can do the two-sided text option.

Of course, I still need to decide how to attach the crayons. I've got a half-dozen ideas for that too... :P

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need graphics. i'm not entirely sure what you mean... hm

noricum said...

Graphics posted.

Anonymous said...

I vote 1 or 4... eep. 4 is a lot of work! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I get the left-handed vs. right-handed orientation, but I think all the text should be able to be read when looking at it from one directly. (it should all be upside down or right-side up). I'm not sure the handedness thing really matters, does it?

noricum said...

Thanks everyone! I'll do 1, unless I have enough yarn for 4. (4 is just twice as much lettering... not that much extra work.)