Monday, October 17, 2005

Random Babblings

I'd like to welcome my friend Kelli to the world of crochet addiction. (In my defense, I also brought her a bunch of Michaels and AC Moore coupons today.)

I received my 2006 Crochet Pattern-a-Day calendar. My patterns got two holidays: Canadian Thanksgiving, and Remembrance Day! (That's Oct 9, and Nov 11 for you Americans.) Each pattern actually takes two pages, but I think it's neat that I got two holidays.

However, I did notice some changes made to what I submitted, beyond fixing my poor pattern writing skills. I wish I had made Vertigo from Louet Gems Topaz Merino. I might actually wear it then. Nope. I used some obscure acrylic I bought in New York when I ran out of conference yarn. (Since I was attending a conference, I went to the LYS that was easiest/fastest to get to, and bought the cheapest stuff they had... which was still expensive!)

Same thing with Roseisle, which has the more prosaic name "Raglan Turtleneck Sweater" in the calendar. I used the nice feeling (but non-breathing acrylic) TLC Amore. I've never felt Goddess Yarns Phoebe, but I bet it's nicer than what I used.

I haven't looked closely at either pattern to see what other changes were made, but I did notice one other change. I said to use random width stripes on Vertigo, but also specified the ones I used in case you wanted the exact same stripes. Annie changed it to say use a regular striping pattern if you didn't want what I had done. I think the randomness is half the fun of this sweater. *sigh*

I've gone through the calendar and picked out a few things I'd like to make... mostly squares for my afghan in progress.

Next rant is on TV Guide. Yes, I got the subscription for free, but that's not going to stop me from expressing my opinions. ;)

TV Guide recently switched from small format to a regular magazine size. Whatever. I don't care which they use. However, the old version went from Sunday to Saturday, and the new version goes from Monday to Sunday. That means they totally skipped over last Sunday. Couldn't they have stuck in the missing day? Sheesh.

A bigger rant is that they no longer say what's on during the day on Saturday and Sunday. I do not regularly watch Saturday or Sunday daytime TV, but there are occasions where I'd like to fry my brain. But now I have to channel surf to see if anything's good on. (Okay... so I only have 10 channels... that's not the point.)

Finally, I opened up next week's guide in order to remove all the inserts (I hate magazine inserts, and remove them all before reading), and saw a quote on Numbers' "mathematician" actor.
"Charlie's not your conventional mathematician... we sexed him up a bit"
Okay... I'm in Computational Geometry and not math, but it's pretty close. We are not a bunch of old white men covered in chalk dust. (Although we do have a few of those, just for variety.) Sheesh. Stupid stereotypes.

I think there was something else I was going to babble on about, but I promised myself I'd get to bed earlier tonight. So, good night!

Oh, yeah... I wove in the last ends of Weasley, H's socks are done... and, um, if I remember anything else, I'll babble more tomorrow. ;) (That reminds me... I've lost five private subscribers on Bloglines in the past few weeks... I kind of wonder why, but I'm not planning on changing. I know you're gone now and so won't see this, but thanks for hanging out while you did.)

2 comments:

KelliAmanda said...

Ha! Thanks for the welcome. :-)

Deneen said...

Hey, YV Guide had an announcement in last weeks guide that they were extending that issue for one day, to coincide with the new "look" TV Guide. I hate the new one cause it's too big and prefer the small one. If I wanted to read Hollywood gossip, I'd buy People.

Second thing is that I didn't get my calendar yet (this is the freebie, correct) but I did notice she changed the yarn on mine also and I wonder how many others she did. It's kind of aggravating and I also wonder if she gets something from the yarn people???