Monday, February 06, 2006

Yarn Substitutions?

Hello there... can I ask your advice? Mom suggested I put some sweater yarn on my Birthday wishlist. (Yeah, so it won't get here by my birthday... that's fine with me. Anyway, it's my fault for taking so long to get around to it.) Since I now have yarn for my Canada sweater, I'm looking at yarn options for Williamsro and Rocktorp from CTH Noro Book 2:
williamsro rocktorp
Eep! Have you seen what Cash Iroha costs!?! (At regular prices, yarn for Williamsro costs over $200 US!) And Rocktorp also calls for Noro Shinano, which is discontinued. (Available on ebay, but I'd like my mom to be able to get all the yarn from one source, if possible, and I'm also not sure how she feels about ebay.) So I have two questions:
1. What is a good replacement for Noro Cash Iroha (it's held doubled in Williamsro, and single in Rocktorp) that's significantly cheaper? Given the high silk content, I'm not sure what will have the same drape and sheen.
2. What's a good replacement for Noro Shinano? Is Noro Silk Garden similar?

I think I'll go hunt down yarn for Kepler... that should be easier. In fact, I have a bit of leftover in my stash that might be an appropriate yarn... I need to swatch it to see how it works.

2 comments:

none said...

All three yarns are very similar to each other. I have been eyeing this yarn for a long time, which might be a good substitute http://www.littleknits.com/products.php?cat=253

Also, this woman dyes Henry's Attic Andromeda which is a 50/50 wool silk blend you just have to pre-order...
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/catalog.php?item=135&catid=11&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D11

noricum said...

Thanks for the info!