Monday, February 27, 2006

Decontamination

I washed my Canada sweater tonight, in the hopes of washing out whatever has been making my tongue swell. I started off with a cold water and vinegar bath:
Vinegar Soak
There was no bleeding during this step. I let it soak for several hours, while I ate dinner and did other stuff. One cold water rinse after the vinegar soak.

Then I washed it in Woolite (which I bought back before I knew it wasn't good for woollens... but I'm using it today, hoping it washes out whatever I'm allergic to). Instant bleed! I did some quick squooshing, and then started rinsing, to make sure I didn't get pink maple leaves:
First Post-First-Woolite Rinse
I continued rinsing with cold water until the rinse water stopped turning pink. (Around three or so rinses.) Then I did a second, somewhat longer woolite wash:
Second Woolite Bath
Still some bleeding. I rinsed until the water ran clear. (Around two rinses?) By the third woolite bath, the bleeding had basically stopped:
Third Woolite Bath
I rinsed a few times to remove the woolite, and then put it through the spin cycle on my washing machine.

Finally, a Eucalan bath to restore the lanolin the woolite probably stripped off:
Eucalan Bath
A final spin cycle on my washing machine to get most of the water out, and I laid the sweater on top of a towel on my dishwasher to dry:
Laid Flat to Dry
My drying racks are being occupied by socks (from Saturday's laundry and Klaralund... which I also washed tonight. Weasley is mostly dry, so he's finishing up on my ironing board. Weasley and Klaralund were the two sweaters I wore while knitting my Canada sweater, so I wanted to make sure to decontaminate them both. Their washings weren't as extreme... just a simple Eucalan bath.

All that cold water was hard on my hands... they turned bright red and prickly at one point:
Cold Hands
(Pasty, hairy leg flesh shown to illustrate natural colouring.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That's a lot of work. I hope it does get rid of the problem.

H

noricum said...

Thanks!

I'm really hoping I can wear it.

Sallie said...

I hope all the washings help.

Anonymous said...

First of all THANK you for sending me the chart for the maple leaf. Two trips and a sick child and I didn't get to email you my thanks! Sooo sorry about that.

That sweater is AWESOME!!! What in the world is making you allergic? I can't believe that! Oh well, I guess you have to send it down south for a girl married to a Vancouverite. Haha!

Once it's dry, lets seee a picture of it on!