Sunday, May 01, 2005

War of the Weasley, Part 3

Okay, I cast on for the third time today, and worked about an inch and a half to two inches. Although it's kind of hard to tell with so little done, I think I'm still getting too many stitches per inch... I think I'm at 24 per 4", rather than 21. I think I'll continue on for a little longer, to see if I get different stitch counts. If I don't, I guess I'll cast on once again with the original, recommended needles, and see if I get gauge this time. :P I'll probably slip the old work off those needles onto a spare set that's the wrong size, just so I don't lose the work while I'm figuring things out. I must admit, this gauge stuff is a mystery to me. If the 6's still don't work, I'll wait until I can buy a set of 5's, to see if they'll do the trick. Luckily I can start 7 balls before I have to rip something out. ;)

(PS: part 2 was titled "stockinette avenger".)

I did pizza again tonight. I used dried herbs, which sped the chopping process quite a bit. I also divided the dough into four crusts instead of 2, and the resulting pizza came out much more reasonably sized. :) I also have enough topping prepared that I can have pizza tomorrow, for very little prep overhead! The other reason that's nice is that, while the crusts and pizza were baking, I was able to get most of my dishes washed, but not my pots. So, I still have no clean pots. However, pizza doesn't need a clean pot to bake. ;) Thus I can have dinner tomorrow night without washing dishes first. Always a bonus.

Time for bed. Good night!

PPS: I get inordinate amounts of joy from making some of you laugh occasionally, so thanks tons for letting me know when I do. ;) (I was thinking about that while I walked to the grocery store, and thought I should let you know.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are getting too many stitches to the inch, go to a larger size needle, not smaller. I do a lot of knitting and some crocheting, too. I like reading about your projects.
Sallie Harper, Paulina's mother-in-law.

noricum said...

Hi Sallie!

I had originally started off with the correct size needles (6), but was getting too few stitches per inch. Since I didn't know how much changing by a single size would affect the stitches, I decided to try a binary search style test... and went down to a 3 (I only have four pair total: 2, 3, 4, & 6). Since that was too small, I tried the in-between size, the 4. Still too small. Since I don't have 5's, that means I have to go back and try the 6's...

Thanks for the tip, though! I knew that, but I guess I wasn't clear in my post.

Do you have a blog of your own projects?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the type of needle can affect gauge, too. I like knitting with bamboo needles a lot, but sometimes the yarn does not move easily over bamboo. I usually switch to some nylon needles that I have to make the motions smoother.

I do have a blog (Scarlett_Sage on Live Journal), but I have not put any of my projects on it. I don't know how to post pictures on it. I am currently working on a entrelac shawl made out of a pretty blue multi-toned wool and a ruffled scarf made out of varigated bamboo yarn. I had to try the bamboo as it is new. It's really fun to work with, and the scarf is coming along well.

I will see if I can figure out how to post pictures to my live journal, if I can at all. I don't have a paid account. I will have to ask Paulina how to do it.

noricum said...

Cool, I'll go check out your blog. :) Don't worry about posting pictures if you don't want to.

I've been using aluminum boye needles... they were cheap at Walmart. ;) That's interesting that the type of needle would affect gauge, but that makes sense.

I haven't tried the bamboo yarn yet... too many other projects to finish first. ;) It does look pretty, though!

sara said...

Gah!! What's "The Weasley"?

noricum said...

A Weasley is one of those sweaters from the Harry Potter movie. ;) Pictures here: http://www.yarnwarehouse.com/newcheckout/items_overseas3.htm

I think they're called Harry Potter sweaters with the H, or Weasley's with the R.

More pictures here: http://alison.knitsmiths.us/blog_weasleys.html