Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Grandmother's Cutting Board


My Grandmother's Cutting Board

This is my grandmother's cutting board. Dad brought it back after she passed away. There's a deep dip in the top (and a less deep dip in the bottom) from where she cut all the time, and some brass strips on the ends to repair the crack. Dad doesn't know if there's a story to it (beyond the fact that it was hers), but we both suspect that grandpa made it for her. I would guess it's oak, and I think there is a wax finish on it, given how it looked when wet. The small hole in the upper right hand corner is about the size of a nail hole. I don't know if there was originally a strap or string or perhaps a loop of wire there, or if it was hung directly on a nail... or even if the hole was there from before the wood was a cutting board.

I wish I knew more of it's history, but it's kind of neat having my grandmother's cutting board. You can tell it was with her a long time.

No comments: